• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use Colorx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use Colorx?

Hi all,

Just wondering, I got colorx and I would like to use it on my car.

But how to use colorx? Since I thought it got the diminishing abrasive, then do we need to wipe it down after polishing or leave it like wax until it dry?

I will use DA on application.

Thanks

Re: How to use Colorx?

For best results I would recommend applying ColorX and working it sufficiently to allow the diminishing abrasives to work. Then, allow to dry (to haze) before wiping.

I typically apply ColorX to the entire car before doing any wiping.
    2013 Highlander - black
    2010 TL - black

Comment

I would try and get some foam applicator pads, then apply some ColorX to the pad and work it into the finish to take advantage of the cleaning ability.

When working it into the finish, take your time and thoroughly work in a good application around the whole vehicle and then when you are finished, go back to where you started and remove it with a clean microfiber polishing cloth.
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Thanks guys!

Will do on my car tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Comment

I had some water spots (dirty irrigation water from sprinklers that was there for a day or two before I saw it) on my trunk lid that wouldn't come out with Ultimate Quick Detailer so I used ColorX last evening, applying by hand with a foam applicator. I allowed it to dry, buffed it with a microfiber and then applied Gold Class Carnauba (which is my paint's favorite wax). The process worked great and removed the water spots.

Comment

ColorX is fantastic. Some clown working on my car let his belt buckel or whatever put some nice scratches in my front fender. Nothing you could feel with a fingernail, but annoying as heck. I thought I would pull out my ScratchX, but I really don't like that stuff. It works, but I don't like it. Just me. Anyway, I got my little orbital buffer out, put the ColorX on the pad and va va voom. Gone. Great stuff. vp920b...you are 'gonna' love it.

Comment

Here are instructions Mike Phillips wrote several years ago:

ColorX is a strong cleaner/wax, it contains both chemical cleaners and diminishing abrasives plus polish and wax, it may or may not remove the swirls in your car's paint.

Best thing to do is to wash the car really well so that their isn't any kind of dirt or abrasive particles on the paint, then apply the ColorX using either soft foam or soft microfiber applicator pads and only do a section about a foot squared. Work the ColorX like you would rub a skin lotion onto your skin. Use an ample amount of product, that is your surface should be wet with product as you're relying on the diminishing abrasives to remove very small particles of paint off the car in an effort to level the surface.

After applying and working the product to this small area allow it to complete[ly] dry and then wipe it off and inspect.

If the results look good to your eyes then repeat this over the entire car working only small sections at a time. If it doesn't look good to your eyes, then come back to this thread and let us know what you're seeing.
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Here's an excerpt from a recent article I wrote on how to use a hand applied paint cleaner, the techniques would be the same for a cleaner/wax if the paint is neglected.

Just to note, if paint is in good to excellent shape and a person is using a cleaner/wax just as a "Maintenance Wax", for example the car is a daily driver, then you could work larger areas and use less product.

But anytime you're using a cleaner/wax to restore neglected paint you want to use the product heavy or wet so that you have ample or sufficient "liquid" which is the chemical cleaners, the diminishing abrasives and the lubricating oils, all working for you... that is don't be stingy with the product because you want and need an "ample" amount.

Here's the excerpt...

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                • Always work clean
                • Use a clean, soft foam or microfiber applicator pad, a more dense or thick applicator pad will help to spread out the pressure of your fingers better than thinner versions.

(I like thinner versions for applying finishing waxes and sealants because then I'm not pushing hard so don't need the thickness).
                • Work on a cool surface in the shade
                • Work a small area at a time, about 8" to 10" squarish or so...
                • Use an "ample" amount of product, don't under-use and don't overuse to the point that you hyper-lubricate the surface but use enough to keep the surface lubricated throughout the process. I would use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of product, usually a tablespoon's amount to start with because your pad is dry when you start and some of the product is going to go into the pad, and after breaking in your pad then cut down to about a teaspoon's amount of product.
                • Hold your hand flat to the pad, not vertical, the idea is to not put pressure ONLY on your fingertips but over the face of your fingers to avoid Fingermarks
                • Spread the product out over the area you're going to work
                • Work the product for about a minute, don't work till the product is dry, but it should go from an opaque film to a clear film
                • Wipe off before residue dries
                • When you move on to a new area overlap a little into the previous area

Before going over an entire panel or an entire car, first do a "Test Spot" and make sure you're getting the results you want and hope for. If you can't make one small area look good with your choice of product, pad and "your technique" then you'll be glad you only worked on a small section to start with or to test and not went over the entire panel or car.

When working on clear coats by hand to actually "remove" defects, technique is just as important as your choice of product and pad, (pad = application material).

So do a Test Spot first.

Also, read the manufactures directions and follow them as the above is just a general guideline. The manufacture always knows their products best.

That's by hand, if you're working by machine then you still want to use an ample amount of product and also work smaller sections at a time.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');