• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob looking for feedback on Meguiar's products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob looking for feedback on Meguiar's products

Great site, with lots of helpful info, without being too commercial; a tough balance, I'm sure.

Somewhere on the 'net someone recommended a PC DA polisher, M105/M205, etc. so, I picked this stuff up, along with a clay bar kit, and tried it out on my 20 yr old white (single stage) Saab that hasn't seen a garage in probably 15 years and lives in Seattle.

Some questions about clay bars, M105 drying, M205 cleaning, and dying product for visibility on a white car:
    1. The clay bar didn't seem to grab all of the embedded black stuff in the paint. Is there a more aggressive bar or technique I should be using?
    2. The M105 seems to dry out, making it hard to remove on final wipedown. The M205 was easier. Is there something I am doing wrong here? Working it too long?
    3. The M105 seems to wash out of my pads easily, but the M205, not so much. How do I clean my pads with M205? I tried warm soapy water, then alcohol, to no avail. Also, can someone provide a link to a FAQ on how to clean my pads during the detailing work?
    4. I don't have the luxury of working inside, so lighting is natural. It's sometimes hard to see where I've either left product on the paint or insufficiently worked an area -- white car, remember. Is there a colorant I can put in the product to make it stand out more against the white but which won't affect the paint?

Oh, one more question: A search here seems to show that no one likes Nu Finish. Well, I have a tin of the stuff so I'm going to use it for now. I'm open to suggestions for something else down the road, but it has to be durable (no garage, live in city, rains 11.5 months a year, well, this year, anyway...) So what other easy on/easy off goop that's durable should I try?

Thanks...

Re: Noob looking for feedback on Meguiar's products

1. The clay in the SS kit is mild. You can get stronger, but can also try claying with a bit more pressure next time.

2. #105 can be used with a PC, but it is not 'perfect' with a PC. #205 is easier.

3. You were using Dawn to wash them? As far as during, all it is is using a terry cloth towel, and working it over the face of the pad to remove excess with the PC turned on.

4. No...

5. Nxt 2.0 is the best protecting Meguiars makes. Nu Finish is a cleaner wax, so it preps the surface some itself. Nxt is just a wax, so needs the #205 at least before it, or a cleaner/wax. ColorX followed by Nxt is very popular if you want quick.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Noob looking for feedback on Meguiar's products

Thanks for the response; I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');