• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best way to clean very dirty door jambs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to clean very dirty door jambs

Just wondering what people use to clean door jambs. I was detailing a car the other day and it was so black..what would be the best mthod to clean it?

Re: The best way to clean very dirty door jambs

Historically, I've used Simple Green, diluted 10:1 with no harm to the paint. I've got an assortment of brushes, including trimmed paintbrushes and denture brushes (kinda like a super-sized toothbrush). On more stubborn areas, I'll go to 4:1 Simple Green or spot-treat with an appropriate solvent. A little detailer finishes the job. Just bought my first jug of APC, so the next time filthy jambs come my way, I'll be giving it a try.

Bill

Comment

When door jambs are super dirty I've always pretreated with Megs APC and then rinsed the with the pressure washer prior to washing them with various brushes.

Obviously you need to use some common sense when taking a pressure washer to a door jamb.

Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post

Obviously you need to use some common sense when taking a pressure washer to a door jamb.
        X2. Today's vehicles may have some complicated electronics in the jambs. I've seen some expensive door control modules ruined by an exuberant pressure washing.
        BTW, those are some ugly door jambs! I recently did an Oldsmobile that had been parked under a large pine tree cluster for over a year. It had needles galore and a covering of a fine black silt, but not as bad as your pics. I guess it was easy to see if you missed a spot!

Bill

Comment

I have a garden spray bottle (the one you fill with water and then pump it up) that I use to clean those area's after applying APC. I use it for underhood work too.,
          -Bob
          NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
            BTW, those are some ugly door jambs!
            And look at those seats!
            Composers shouldn't think too much, it interferes with their plagiarism. -- Howard Dietz

Comment

Another vote for apc.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

APC with brush. Rinse with atomizer spray (if you not comfortable spraying mass quantity of water near the interior)
                Learning new things everyday

Comment

I like using APC+ because it can cut away the dirt and any grease that is in there.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                  Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

If they are dirty enough, then I carefully pressure wash them.

Otherwise, I just clean them with some APC, cotton towels, and assorted brushes.

I also clean under and behind the weather stripping on the bottom of the door, this is where most of the dirt and grime accumulates.

Trunk jambs are easier to do:

Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

My brothers Wife's mazda 3 is white and the door jambs are black from all the rust proofing and and i started cleaning the drivers side so far but it is a pain since it's black with oil and dirt that has sticked to it over the last couple of years.

I rust prrof my car every year but i always wash my door jambs when washing my car...every time my brother has washed her car he never does.

Comment

APC and a pressure washer! Don't even need to scrub, IME.

Comment

I use a pressure washer as well. I do not flood the jambs but I will spray over them fast enough to remove a majority of the dirt. Anything that gets left after that I'll spray down with cleaner and sometimes blow it out w/ an air hose or clean it out with a brush. Once it's dry, I go over it with QD.
                          ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
                          www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
                          (352) 897-0050

Comment

Unless you are doing a 'full detail' this may be OTT

Door Jambs

1. Use P21S® Total Auto Wash, dilute the cleaner as necessary, allow to rest in place and then, using a damp micro fibre towel go over the door jamb to remove excess grease etc.
                            Alternative- put the P21S solution in a spray bottle, spray jambs and allow to dwell
                            2. Take a Swissvax Detail Brush and ensure that you have got into the corners, just lightly brush over it a couple of times.
                            3. For difficult to reach areas use the Mini E-Z Detail brush with a flexible shaft
                            4. Rinse it off using a wet microfiber towel, and dry thoroughly
                            5. Use a Carnauba wax or a spray (WOWA) polymer sealant Zanio Z-8 for protection
                            6. Repeat this process on the other side and carry on detailing the rest of your car
                            7. Check the hinge / latch lubrication, renew with silicone grease as necessary
                            8. Remove dust / dirt from the rubber sleeves and apply Iz einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care'
                            9. While you are doing this part of the job, also clean the area around the boot lid, hood and inside the fuel filler flap and access area.
                            10. Clean the water channels in the trunk as well as under the hood.

Don’t forget the door sills / kick plates; once clean and dry, they should be protected by applying a surface dressing to vinyl surfaces and either wax or sealant protection to painted surfaces.
                            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Lastly.....especially if hose/water/pressure washed...I'd lube the hinges with some silicone spray!
                              Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');