• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

72 vette streaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 vette streaks

I have a 1972 corvette that was repainted black lacquer about 30 years ago. I tried all kinds of wax an polishes and can't seem to get all the streaks out after wiping it off. With out repainting it anybody have any ideas how to go about getting a nice shine on it? thanks

Re: 72 vette streaks

Pics could help, as far as seeing the condition of it, but the place to start would be with a nice wash (or QD wipe if you don't wash), then clay and use a mild paint cleaner. That will get the surface in the best shape for applying polishes, waxes, etc.

Something like the Smooth Surface Clay Kit, and then SwirlX applied with a smooth foam applicator would be mild and easy to use.

Do you have any idea if the paint seems soft, seems to swirl easily? If not, just do one test spot on a panel with the SwirlX, and step back to take a good look at it. SwirlX is mild, but we still want to go slow and be sure of everything.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Are you talking about oils and streaking from the products? What waxes and/or polishes have you tried? Have you had higher humidity lately? It could be a lot of things, but when it gets more humid the moisture in the air can sometimes prevent the oils in some products to dry properly which often results in streaking, smearing, blotching, etc.
      Rick McDonough
      Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
      Meguiar's Inc.
      1.800.854.8073 * 3853
      rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

My 1965 Stingray with original lacquer loves # 80 speed glaze, and # 82 Swirl Free Polish, I would give them a try.

Comment

do you use it by hand?

Comment

I tried about 3 or 4 different names and none of them seem to work. It's when you wipe it off, it has a shine but you see streaks in it, I'll try and ppost some picures

Comment

I'll try and post pictures on here if I figure out how to. I'm new on here

Comment

We dont mind new, see what you can get to show in the pics.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');