• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sealant to cover swirls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealant to cover swirls

I have been reading and looking for a long term solution to hiding swirls / fine scratch's besides using ScratchX or Swirl-X. Swirl-X has done a great job on many spots, and so does ScratchX, although some of these spots I corrected re-appear after a wash. So the temporary filler was washed away one would guess.

I have been told that using a good sealant will have a better bond and last longer than any wax or SwirlX will.

First off, is this true?
    Secondly, which sealant is better and why?

Mirror Glaze Pro Polymer Sealant

Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Thirdly, when should a sealant be applied?
    Fourthly, how long should I expect this sealant to last? I have heard high quality sealants can last as long as 9-12 months.

My car looks great waxed, and unwaxed as well . But for perfection I have to constantly wax or polish some troubling spots to get them to disappear. Especially if I have washed the vehicle.

Re: Sealant to cover swirls

Scratch X does not hide swirls, it actually removes them. It sounds like your wash process is reinstilling swirls into your finish. Are you waxing the area after using swirl x? Swirl X provides no protection, so you should also wax the area after using it. Care to elaborate on your wash process?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I don't use ScratchX much because it is rather abrasive and I have a newer Honda Accord where the clear coat is just like butter I hear.

I have a swirl. I wash the car, wax the car. Car looks beautiful. I wash the car, and it seems the swirls re-appear.

Although multiple applications of swirl-x by hand have reduced many swirls.

But for what isn't being corrected, I was thinking a long lasting sealant would be the trick.

I am using;

NXT Waxed just recently
      NXT Wash with a mix of the yellow car wash / wax soap (Ultimate?)

Comment

Originally posted by andrew c. View Post
        scratch x does not hide swirls, it actually removes them. it sounds like your wash process is reinstilling swirls into your finish. Are you waxing the area after using swirl x? Swirl x provides no protection, so you should also wax the area after using it. Care to elaborate on your wash process?

+100

Comment

I would re evaluate your car washing techniques. if used properly, scratch-x will remove the swirls.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Here brother,

Try using this washing method.

Hope i helped
            Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
            Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
            Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

Swirl X Removes scratches as well, it doesn't hide them. Sealing your car with NXT is a great choice, so it isn't that you are hiding the swirls and they are being revealed, it is that you are removing the swirls and reinstilling them. Wax isn't going to prevent swirls from being put back in if your technique has some flaws.

You are using a great wash solution (sounds like Ultimate Wash and Wax) but it is your process of washing, combined with traditionally soft honda paint that is putting swirls back in. Mike Phillips had a great how to video out that explained in detail on how to wash your car properly. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Comment

The only thing I do not do is a 2 bucket method.

Currently I am washing one spot on one panel on the car at a time (working from top down), and since my swirls are mostly horizontal. I am washing in an up and down motion.

Once I clean that area. I spray to remove the soap and to introduce fresh water to the areas just around where I clean. So that I don't ever wash a dry spot on my car (for fear of a particle hiding there waiting to put some swirls in).

Then I put my washing mitten in the bucket and swash it around a bunch to try and get any and all debris off the mitten, and then continue.

When I have used applications of ScratchX I have had a really light touch going in to the job. Just because I would rather do too little than too much correction and have to correct a imperfection created by ScratchX being too abrasive.

But to reiterate my problems. Car looks great when you use quik wax, or wax the car,, or even use quik detailer or polish it with ColorX. Then you wash the car, and the spots that appeared corrected come back to haunt. And since all my swirls are horizontal and my wash / drying is being done vertically I don't think I am reintroducing the swirls to the car.....

Or maybe I could be...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Pringnitz View Post
                  I have been reading and looking for a long term solution to hiding swirls / fine scratch's besides using ScratchX or Swirl-X. Swirl-X has done a great job on many spots, and so does ScratchX, although some of these spots I corrected re-appear after a wash. So the temporary filler was washed away one would guess.

I have been told that using a good sealant will have a better bond and last longer than any wax or SwirlX will.

First off, is this true?
                  This is true. A sealant tends to last longer than a wax. There does tend to be a difference in how they look, especially on darker cars, and some people prefer the warmth and depth of a wax over the shininess of a sealant, but this is a matter of personal preference. They can be layered, with a sealant first and a wax second, to combine the durability and looks.

As was mentioned, SwirlX has no protection properties. It works by actually polishing and leveling the paint so that swirls are actually removed, not just hidden.

Secondly, which sealant is better and why?

Mirror Glaze Pro Polymer Sealant

Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0
                  This is a good article on the different waxes and sealants Meguiar's makes:

Quoting from there:

M20 Polymer Sealant – With M20 Meguiar's has combined the cleaning ability of traditional cleaner waxes with the polymer protection of a high tech sealant. Polymer Sealant is a unique blend of polymers, silicones and imported waxes that creates a brilliant high gloss finish combined with durable, long lasting protection.. Safe and effective on all paint finishes, including clear coats. Available in liquid form only in 16 ounce and 64 ounce containers, M20 can be applied by hand, orbital, D/A polisher or rotary.

M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 - Synthetic polymer formulation provides technologically advanced paint care and protection. M21 produces a noticeably deeper, darker, more reflective paint finish while the Hydrophobic Polymer Technology™ deliver extreme water beading and protection. It's unique formulation elminates very fine scratches and swirls, creating a flawless finish. M21 glides on easy, with a smooth, resistance-free wipe-off. Application is by hand, orbital, D/A polisher or rotary and it is available in liquid form only, in either 16 ounce or 64 ounce containers.

The main difference is Polymer Sealant has "cleaners," or light abrasive polishes, similar to SwirlX but probably not as aggressive, that will help polish out swirls as you are applying it. This might be an advantage in your case, or you may prefer the swirl removal in a different step from applying wax or sealant, in which case Synthetic Sealant will be preferable. I believe this one will be easier to apply and remove.

Thirdly, when should a sealant be applied?
                  After you wash (or wash and clay) your car and dry it. One of the tests of whether it is time to seal or wax the car is when it becomes difficult to towel off Quick Detailer.

Fourthly, how long should I expect this sealant to last? I have heard high quality sealants can last as long as 9-12 months.
                  I don't know with regard to each brand, but 6 months would not be unusual. Partially, it would depend on the climate, conditions, humidity, use and care of the car, etc.

My car looks great waxed, and unwaxed as well . But for perfection I have to constantly wax or polish some troubling spots to get them to disappear. Especially if I have washed the vehicle.
                  Since waxing seems to help the appearance of your car but you don't want to do it so often, using a sealant might be a good choice for you.

Comment

I have a swirl. I wash the car, wax the car. Car looks beautiful. I wash the car, and it seems the swirls re-appear.
                    if you have a swirl and then ONLY wash and wax it, the swirl will not be removed, only visibly taken away by fillers, unless you use a wax that has some decent polishing/corrective properties in it like d151. a wax can help cover them up yes, but if you use it to cover them up then it will appear after you wash it down. do not be scared to use swirlx or scratchx on your car by hand, you will not cause problems 99.9999% of the time. you actually have to TRY to instill problems lol.

the direction of the swirls appearance isnt always the direction that they are. it is the light reflecting off of it, there was a thread recently on this and in it the masters explained why swirls appear to be perfect circles and other things like that.

Comment

You need to completely remove the swirls and then go ahead and make your evaluation. Use swirl x, scratch x, or ultimate compound, then wipe the area down with a 50/50 solution of water and IPA (isopropyl alcohol) This will remove any fillers and show the true surface. Once it looks good, go ahead and seal it with some NXT.

The next trick is to not put those swirls back in. You may want to take your hose and rinse your mitt of before trying to rinse it in your 1 bucket (although I would suggest doing the two bucket method) Do you have grit guards? If not, get some, you would be amazed at how well they work. Lastly, it may be your drying technique that is causing some swirls as well. What are you using to dry your car? Are you getting any dirt on the towel when drying?

I know that Hondas traditionally have very soft paint, so it makes it easier to mar and swirl the paint. Sometimes when it seems like you are doing everything perfect, even the slightest thing can cause a small imperfection.

I hope we are helping and can help you find a method to getting your car looking the way you want it!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                        You need to completely remove the swirls and then go ahead and make your evaluation. Use swirl x, scratch x, or ultimate compound, then wipe the area down with a 50/50 solution of water and IPA (isopropyl alcohol) This will remove any fillers and show the true surface. Once it looks good, go ahead and seal it with some NXT.

The next trick is to not put those swirls back in. You may want to take your hose and rinse your mitt of before trying to rinse it in your 1 bucket (although I would suggest doing the two bucket method) Do you have grit guards? If not, get some, you would be amazed at how well they work. Lastly, it may be your drying technique that is causing some swirls as well. What are you using to dry your car? Are you getting any dirt on the towel when drying?

I know that Hondas traditionally have very soft paint, so it makes it easier to mar and swirl the paint. Sometimes when it seems like you are doing everything perfect, even the slightest thing can cause a small imperfection.

I hope we are helping and can help you find a method to getting your car looking the way you want it!

Excuse my ignorance but is this isopropyl alcohol same as methylated spirits?!?!

That's how alcohol is sold here in Australia, so I was wandering if the two are the same product with different names.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');