• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax on Moulding / Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax on Moulding / Trim

Hi All, I have a Brand New 2011 Sonata ( Black ), this weekend I plan on giving my new car it's first good wax job I am planning on using Meguires Gold Class Liquid wax, The question I have is will this wax affect my trim & plastic Mouldings, Should I use something different on those parts or just not worry about it?

Thanks In Advance

John

Re: Wax on Moulding / Trim

Originally posted by jdeutinger View Post
    Hi All, I have a Brand New 2011 Sonata ( Black ), this weekend I plan on giving my new car it's first good wax job I am planning on using Meguires Gold Class Liquid wax, The question I have is will this wax affect my trim & plastic Mouldings, Should I use something different on those parts or just not worry about it?
    Probably best, John, NOT to apply the wax to the trim and plastic. I do not know if the GC will stain the trim or not, but it might (others here on MOL will confirm or disconfirm my fear). There are other products you might use to dress and protect the exterior trim (e.g., Gold Class Trim Detailer, Ultimate Protectant, M40).
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Congrats on the new car. You might want to consider claying it before applyig Gold Class Liquid Wax.

As for exterior trim and plastic, try to avoid getting wax on there. A good OTC protectant for your exterior trim would be Ultimate Protectant as Al mentioned.
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I think GC+ is your wax of choice for that black car. I like applying GC+ to dark colors as it really really makes them dark and shine. When I apply it to my red car, the paint comes out dripping wet.
        Tedrow's Detailing
        845-642-1698
        Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

If I remember correctly. The Gold Class will stain the trim. Try to avoid it on the trim.

I think you should also clay first.

Congrats on the new car.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks All, I will go out tomorrow and get everything I need, I think I will even try claying for the first time ever so with this being a new car I will try a small spot under the front bumper just to see how comfortable I am with this new to me process

Thanks again

John

Comment

Just as a side note, the Meguiars nxt 2.0 Tech Wax, does not harm trim, stain it white, or leave a white residue in creases.
              Click for more pictures of my tC

Comment

Yes it does. Nxt stains just about all trim.

Comment

I've never had a problem with it on trim? It leaves a greasy looking spot that wipes off, or is covered by a dressing later?
                  If that's the stain that everyone's talking about then, I'm sorry that all the trim I've ever touched it with is different than yours, and that I've posted false information.
                  Click for more pictures of my tC

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                    Congrats on the new car. You might want to consider claying it before applyig Gold Class Liquid Wax.

As for exterior trim and plastic, try to avoid getting wax on there. A good OTC protectant for your exterior trim would be Ultimate Protectant as Al mentioned.
                    Ultimate Protectant is fairly new to the market so it may not be available in his area. If you can't find it, Meguiars #40 Vinyl & Rubber Conditioner is also a good choice for interior/exterior plastic.
                    Anybody can make a car look good with the right products.

Comment

Originally posted by jdeutinger View Post

Thanks In Advance

John
                      Don't worry about it. I think everything will just fine!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');