• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to detail a daily driver over a couple of weeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to detail a daily driver over a couple of weeks?

Hi,

I generally detail my daily driver over the course of 2 days, but having an 8-year old that always wants to help Dad and do stuff with Dad is kinda of hard.

Here is my routine that I am looking to do:

Day 1
    Wash with Carwash Nxt
    Clay

Week Later
    Remove swirls by DA with Scratch-X and Swirl-X

Week Later
    Apply ColorX and follow-up with Nxt2.0 or Yellow #26

Is this possible to over 2-3 weeks?
    Otherwise, I usually need to take a vacation day for peace and quiet to get most of this done over a Friday and Sat.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Eric

Re: Is it possible to detail a daily driver over a couple of weeks?

Would have to wash each day of course.

And likely no need for CoorX after SwirlX. Just go right to two coats of wax.

Other than that, no big deal. There are many people with no wax on their car ever... 2 weeks wont kill it.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've done this before due to my twin time constraints:

My changes to your post are in red, and it is do-able with great results. I however only waited 2-4 days between steps. If I was doing this over weeks instead of days I would definitely clay bar again before final wax step.

"I generally detail my daily driver over the course of 2 days, but having an 8-year old that always wants to help Dad and do stuff with Dad is kinda of hard.

Here is my routine that I am looking to do:

Day 1
      Wash with NXT car wash
      Clay bar
      UQW

Week Later:
      Wash
      Remove swirls by DA with Scratch-X/Swirl-X/UC/M205, section(s) at a time.
      UQW

Week Later
      Wash
      Check painted surface and if needed clay bar again.
      Apply ColorX/M07 and follow-up with Nxt2.0/Yellow #26/Gold Class paste"

Enjoy, and be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

BTW: I jokingly refer to my girls here as "time constraints" which of course they are not. They are in fact the love of my life and the best thing I've done in my 45+ years in this world.
      2014 Cadillac ATS4 Performance in White Diamond Tricoat. It's loaded with everything but frickin' lasers!

Comment

What I am doing On my daily driver, i do all the steps at once. For example. I Clay, Swirlx, and way, the front clip of the car. then the next week, I do the doors, and then the following i do the back. But i do all the steps, so the paint doesn't spend any time unprotected.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          Would have to wash each day of course.

And likely no need for CoorX after SwirlX. Just go right to two coats of wax.

Other than that, no big deal. There are many people with no wax on their car ever... 2 weeks wont kill it.
          LOL! CoorX? I prefer MillerX myself and often find myself slightly waxed after two coatings!

Comment

But when the bottle turns blue the product is ready to use...
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by dieselracer View Post
              What I am doing On my daily driver, i do all the steps at once. For example. I Clay, Swirlx, and way, the front clip of the car. then the next week, I do the doors, and then the following i do the back. But i do all the steps, so the paint doesn't spend any time unprotected.
              I like this method. At least it is protected.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I usually do it over 2 weekends due to time and constraints on no garage.
                1. Wash, clay.
                2. wash, polish and wax. (since I only want to tape up the black plastic one time!)

Only problem is that this time it rained last weekend (when step 2 was due) and it's going to rain this weekend! You guys with garages, count your blessings

Comment

When I can't do a car all in one day my pattern is a bit like dieselracer's but I do it all horizontal surfaces, then one side, then the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                    LOL! CoorX? I prefer MillerX myself and often find myself slightly waxed after two coatings!
                    I often have the same experience! Sometimes MillerX, sometimes Yuengling 2.0, but the best is Ultimate Blue Moon!
                    "Cars make great banks but they don't pay interest"

Comment

My favorites are anything from the Mirror Glaze Sierra Nevada line

Comment

As already mentioned, you will need to wash the car at each step. I like dieselracer's suggestion to do everything at once but to only do sections of the car at a time. Tim Lingor suggested I do this when I was complaining about how exhausting Luthien's two day marathons are.

And as Mat suggests, scratch the ColorX. If you are cleaning the paint with SwirlX, you don't need ColorX. And at this moment I am drinking a bottle of Sam Adams--my reward for a day and a half detailing session with Luthien.
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');