• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much paint are you removing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, on a factory finish, the only orange peel anyone can expect to remove is on the clear.

From my experience I learned that there are many contributing factors to orange peel. Even though you might be able to remove it from the clear on the surface, the paint can still show some ripple effects of orange peel due to the accumulation in the sub layers, starting with the primer coat, the several coats of the base, and the several coats of the clear. After I had the clear as smooth as glass I was still able to see some of the base color orange peel in the optical distortion of reflected images.

So if I do see some orange peel on the clear I may just sand it a tad as Joe suggested, and only in some areas not the entire car, and then buff out with a rotary polisher.

Comment

Just be careful not to remove too much clear coat!

Comment

Re: How much paint are you removing.

Thanks Joe and everyone for the great info. I know this thread is over a year old but I think there is alot of good information that shouldn't be tucked away too deep in the old posts. I've been wondering how much gets taken off for awhile, it's good to have a general guide.
        Scott

Comment

I hadn't seen this until today
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
            Thanks Joe and everyone for the great info. I know this thread is over a year old but I think there is alot of good information that shouldn't be tucked away too deep in the old posts. I've been wondering how much gets taken off for awhile, it's good to have a general guide.
            It would be nice if threads could be ranked in a special forum according to the number of replys/ popularity/ etc. in it.

Maybe it help to keep older, valuable posts from disappearing.

Just a thought.
            r. b.

Comment

they can... the rating thing is on the top right corner.

you can view them by most views/posts etc..by selecting it at the bottom of the main topic screen
              Patrick Yu
              2003 Honda Accord
              2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Thanks sneek!

I didn't even bother to check out the forum options available.

I'm a full time student and have very little time to post.
                r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by sneek View Post
                  they can... the rating thing is on the top right corner.

you can view them by most views/posts etc..by selecting it at the bottom of the main topic screen

How about that !!!!!!!!
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Well, we have a good idea of how much paint we are taking off when buffing, thanks Joe! (and it looks like not much at all when using the PC & 83)

I always wondered- as you buff your paint over the years and thin the clear coat (espicially if you need to do a real agressive buff with a product like diamond cut & roatary), does the amount & depth of shine on the paint diminish?

Comment

Hey guys,

Very informative thread, thank you!

How much mils are we removing when working with a product like Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or ScratchX? Are we talking about the same 0,2-0.3mils as the creator measured with his procedure?

Cheers,
                      Simon

Comment

Originally posted by steini View Post
                        Hey guys,

Very informative thread, thank you!

How much mils are we removing when working with a product like Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or ScratchX? Are we talking about the same 0,2-0.3mils as the creator measured with his procedure?

Cheers,
                        Simon
                        My guess would be an amount that is hardly measurable.
                        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

A while back I came across this reference on paint thickness specification.

Paint coatings are getting thinner by the year. This book was published back in 1998 when automotive paint was still solvent based. Newer automotive paint coatings are even thinner since the EPA VOC regulations took effect.
                          The book is titled "The Automotive Paint Handbook" by John Pfanstiehl.

Typically, new cars have a total paint build of 3.5 to 5.5 mil according to another recent book I read.

This book lists the Total Maximum Allowable Paint Thickness Reduction Specification for the following:

Chrysler... Monocoat = .3 mil Clear Coat = .5 mil

Ford.........Monocoat = .3 mil Clear Coat = .3 mil

GM...........Monocoat = .3 mil Clear Coat = .5 mil

I assume that other manufacturers are about the same but I don't have any info on that..

The book states that removing more than the allowable will cause early paint failure and necessitate a repaint.

If only they could learn how to eliminate OP in the new paints.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

great write up

Comment

GREAT INFO

Say you were to buff too much, how much would it cost to refinish?

Comment

Originally posted by iceboi714 View Post
                                GREAT INFO

Say you were to buff too much, how much would it cost to refinish?
                                Don't know, I have never had that problem! -

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');