• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product to use on wheel wells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product to use on wheel wells?

Hey guys, I was washing my car the other day and I decided to clean out my wheel wells (the plastic liner part) and noticed that there was a lot of build up along with a ton of nicks and chips on the surface of them. Can anyone reccommend a prouduct to clean them and also protect them form nicks, chips, etc? I know this is probably my ocd talking, but it just seems like they should't be getting dinged up like they are. Thanks for the help.

Re: Product to use on wheel wells?

You mean like the black plastic lining? And that is dinged up?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

They will always just chips from rocks and no real way to prevent that. Common wear and tear from driving down the road. However, if you just want to clean them up and restore finish, try Meguiar's new Ultimate Protectant or some #39/#40 from the professional line.

Comment

Not sure how they are getting dinged up and damaged. Usually the plastic lining holds up pretty well.

Usually the best way to go about cleaning and dressing is using soap and water, APC, and a brush. Then rinse it out really well and either dry them with an old towel or let them air dry.

Usually when dressing wheelwells you want to use a product you can spray on such as Hyperdressing or All Season Dressing.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I washed my wheel wells with apc and then coated it with Adams undercarriage spray, have a look here

*Edit - No hyperlinks before users reach 30 posts
          Last edited by Markus Kleis; Feb 9, 2010, 04:57 PM. Reason: Hyperlink before 30 posts
          http://www.photostand.co.za/images/u...hgf8neh0w8.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Yes, I'm talking about the black plastic lining. The damage to them isn't severe, they just kind of feel like sand paper when you run your hand over them and upon closer inspection, they have what looks like hundreds of tiny little nicks. I just wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

Comment

Originally posted by dood786 View Post
              I washed my wheel wells with apc and then coated it with Adams undercarriage spray, have a look here

*Edit - No hyperlinks before users reach 30 posts
              Dood - If you wouldn't mind, could you try embedding a few pictures that are 800x600 pixels or smaller into a new reply? We ask that new users reach 30 posts before posting click-able hyperlinks to outside sites.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by blinkme323 View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Yes, I'm talking about the black plastic lining. The damage to them isn't severe, they just kind of feel like sand paper when you run your hand over them and upon closer inspection, they have what looks like hundreds of tiny little nicks. I just wasn't sure if this was normal or not.
                Yeah, its pretty normal.

About all you can do is some APC with a brush, and then dress them with your favorite dressing. Usually Hyper Dressing or All Season Dressing make good choices.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What kind of car or truck do you have? the year?
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                    What kind of car or truck do you have? the year?

It's a 2009 370z

Comment

If you want to go full ocd, try what I do with my cars. Remove the wheels and clean the wheel wells. Then spray on black rubberized undercoating spray. Gives a nice textured look, and resists chipping very well, I usually only re-spray after about 4 years.

Once this is done, I use an aerosol tire cleaner to keep them looking clean and dark.

An added benefit I have found is that the spray cuts down on tire noise a little bit.
                      Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

Comment

Originally posted by blinkme323 View Post
                        It's a 2009 370z
                        Pictures please! lol

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewR/T View Post
                          Pictures please! lol
                          Haha, I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

Comment

My rears have a section that's covered with a "vinyl" or nylon mesh fabric? Has anyone applied ASD to this area, and with what results?

Thanks!
                            "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
                            BOB

Comment

I think getting a heavy duty brush is the best thing you can do. I usually spray whatever tire cleaner I'm using all over the wheel wells, let it sit then scrub it down really good and rinse. Sometimes I spray on a dedicated wheel well product for shine and protection, but I usually apply whatever dressing I'm putting on the tires. I wait a few minutes and run a towel back over them to wipe off any excess.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');