• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Showroom paint but need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showroom paint but need advice

My car is a year out of the showroom. I have not washed it as I just purchased it but paint is like new as it was garaged alot. It is silver in color but would like to know what to do first.
    I guess I should wash it.(Gold Class car wash)
    Should I use clay?
    Should I use swirlX?
    Should I go to GoldClass Carnauba plus liquid wax or a Tech Wax 2.0 or Quik Wax?
    Should I continue with Ultimate Quik Detailer when needed? Thanks Ron

Re: Showroom paint but need advice

Clay, SwirlX, Gold Class Plus with NXT 2.0 on top, and the UQD in between. Yep you got it.
    -Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by ziggo99 View Post
      Clay, SwirlX, Gold Class Plus with NXT 2.0 on top, and the UQD in between. Yep you got it.
      Perfect advice... Exactly what I would have suggested Except perhaps NXT 2.0 first and then GCPlus
      2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
      2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

I think you lost your other thread here:

I think you can pretty much assume it needs clayed.

So as mentioned above:

1. Wash - Quality soap, 2 buckets, quality towels, sponges
        2. Clay - Smooth Surface Clay kit, + an extra QD bottle
        3. Clean - SwirlX is a good place to start for a good clean/polish
        4. Wax - There is a new/improved Gold Class 2.0 arriving in stores now... I would only get a 2.0 product, which ever wax you choose.
        5. Wax - Two thin coats are best

If you want a quick detail, ColorX like mentioned above is a great option:
        1. Wash
        2. Clay
        3. ColorX - This is a cleaner/wax, while milder than SwirlX, can help you move along quicker, since it is a first coat of wax.
        4. Wax

6. Maintain - After future washes, I really like Ultimate Quick Wax. If you want to keep your products simple for now, I would have some QD around for bird droppings, etc, and then UQW for after washes.

And check these out: (note, some products mentioned may be older, but all the concepts stay the same)

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
        Step 1 Wash
        Step 2 Clean
        Step 3 Polish
        Step 4 Protect
        Step 5 Maintain

Lessons from White Paint

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would check before I decided to clay.

The car may need it but the test/check is very simple to perform.

After washing & drying the car, slip your hand in a plastic bag (sandwich bag works fine) and run your hand over the paint. If you feel lots of little bumps, you need clay. If smooth, no need to clay.

We just got a new Honda CRV and the paint was in fine shape and did not need to be clayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff U View Post
            I would check before I decided to clay.

The car may need it but the test/check is very simple to perform.

After washing & drying the car, slip your hand in a plastic bag (sandwich bag works fine) and run your hand over the paint. If you feel lots of little bumps, you need clay. If smooth, no need to clay.

We just got a new Honda CRV and the paint was in fine shape and did not need to be clayed.
            All this info is great and has me in great shape to go to work with the exception of claying. I like that someone here says maybe you might not need claying. Everyone else is saying claying is needed. I think I'll do the test after washing and see if claying is needed. As I said earlier my car is showroom but I did buy it with 5000 miles on it. The person that bought it first, may have had it detailed as the surface feels very smooth without washing and may have had it polished and waxed as he did add alot of extras in the 6 months he had it before trading and buying a Porch. Thanks all Ron

Comment

I'll put it this way, and I think it speaks for a lot of the people here.

I though I knew what a smooth surface was. Espeacially after I cleaned, polished, waxed, it felt so smooth.

Then I figured the next detail, I would clay for the heck of it, since everyone was talking about it. Then I learned what smooth was.

So, you may or may not need it.... but I didnt know how to compare at first.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

^ +1

Most cars straight off the dealers showroom need to be clayed. They pick up some contamination during shipment to dealer and in his lot. And you car has 5000 additional miles of use.

Use lots of lube, and light claying will not hurt at all. If the clay does not pick up anything that is fine, but I also suspect that you will be surprised at the result.
                2010 XRS

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');