• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic questions from a newbie: Claying / cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic questions from a newbie: Claying / cleaning

Back ground
    I just bought a mint 1991 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (that's 4-wheel-steering)...in near mint condition. I got it from the original owner and it's always been garage kept. She hadn't driven it at all in two years, and she even refused to drive it in the rain. No, this is not a hot rod or custom, but it is my little dream car.

But, it's never been polished/waxed, and although the paint is in good shape, it is dull.

Problem (for me): It's black.

I've detailed tons of cars. I know the basics, and I know how to get good results. But black cars scare me. So I turned here first. Last week I found this site and started reading threads and articles and watching videos. I've gone through the 5-step care cycle, and got stuck at step 2.

Current issue
    I determined that the car did need claying, so I purchased the Meguiars clay kit, and since I've never clayed before I first tried it on a small portion of the trunk lid. Of course I thoroughly washed and dried the car first. Then I used the clay kit as instructed, on that small area, using the Quick Detailer as a lubricant.

The clay works. Got the finish incredibly smooth to the touch. But it also left noticable swirls in the paint that would not come out, regarless of how much I tried to buff it out with the new clean cloth that came in the kit. The kit also came with a small bottle of Cleaner Wax, so I used it as directed (by hand), hoping this would take out the swirls. It did not.

The final result is a darker, shinier, deeper black (on half of the trunk lid)...but the swirls are visable.

So I came back here and did some more reading, and decided to try the 3 step procedure of liquid cleaner, polish, wax. I tried this method of the other half of the trunk lid, with the same exact results.

I want to clean/polish/wax the entire car. It needs it. But I do not want swirls on the entire car. My wife is saying "just take it to a professional and let them detail it for you"....but I WANT to learn how to properly do this myself. No reason to pay someone to do this every time. There's no way this is beyond my ability to learn how to do correctly.

Help?

Re: Basic questions from a newbie: Claying / cleaning

Hey. And welcome. U got the first 2 steps rite. Wash very well and then clayed. The clay removes and surface contaminents so thats why ur seeing swirls that might have been hiding. The next step is to do some paint correction. Im assuming ur working by hand? Try the least agressive method first. Swirlx would be ur best bet. Work it in with passion and see how it comes out. Step up to a more agressive product if neccessary. The apply wax and then maintain the finish. Hope this helps. Feel free 2 ask more!

Comment

When you did the 3 step procedure, what products did you use?

Clay will not remove swirls, just dirt, and the Cleaner/Wax is also very mild, and will remove mostly dirt. So by getting the paint completly clean, you likely exposed more flaws that were there but hidden.

For removing swirls, you would want to look at products like SwirlX and Ultimate Compound. SwirlX is milder, so that is where you would start first. The product would need applied to a small area, and then worked in with some passion, not just wiped on/off. Watch this video on the older ScratchX, the idea is basically the same.

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey guys...thanks so much for the quick advice. Since there is no swirling visable before claying, it didn't occur to me that the claying might be revealing some hidden swirling. I was thinking that the claying was causing the swirls.

I know that I can't have a custom show car finish on a 18 year-old OEM paint, but I do want to devote the time to get it up to full potential (of course).

I'll get the SwirlX and give it a shot. With "passion".

Comment

Well, we are assuming you used plenty of lubrication with the clay, and quality towels, applicators, etc.

But even on very soft paint, clay shouldnt be a problem when used right.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I just used the products in the Meguiars clay kit (the applicators, the Quick Detail spray, the cloth, the cleaner wax). I bought it all brand new and opened it used it right after I washed and dried my car.

I watched several videos on You Tube about claying. Many said that water was an ok lubricant, but that the Quick Detail was fine too. I think I used enough lube, and I didn't force the clay. Just a gentle motion over the paint, like butter on a hot skillet.

Comment

i have quite a similar problem to bruce above. i clayed and cleaner wax my car for the first time using meguiars clay kit... but I think i did not use enough QD as lubricant and may have at times used to much pressure on the clay and the MF (For the cleaner wax).

my objective with using more pressure on the clay was to remove some outside paint the stuck to the hood (probably during driving). these were white paint as big as a needle head. then the cleaner wax, i used extensively to remove dried water marks on the roof.

now my hood has swirl marks... my bad. some questions:

1) was it claying pressure and lack of QD that could have caused it? or the use of the cleaner wax with MF towel to buff it?
              2) is there any hope for me to remove the swirls?
              3) could it be possible that I removed my clearcoat? (note this is the first time i clayed and cleaner wax and my car is almost 6 months old only)

many thanks guys...

Comment

Application –a thin film of lubrication (see Detailer’s Clay Lubrication) provides a safety barrier that enables the clay to hydroplane across the surface. In other words, the clay is aquaplaning on a micro-thin film of lubrication between it and the paint surface removing the (protruding) surface contaminants by abrasion and encapsulation by the malleable clay.

Without lubrication the clay will abrade the paint surface much like a wet-sanding block and will produce significant fine surface marring. When you start the clay process you’ll feel resistance as you glide the clay with its lubricant, this is normal, the resistance will lessen as the contaminants are removed, once there is no more resistance you can move to the next 2 x 2-foot section
                ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

i learned this too late. I think i should have been more generous with the QD and less with the pressure... but its not all over the car actually, it is only in the hood... thinking of ways to reduce the swirls in the hood...

Comment

For evryones future reference- Before you use a product check its application methodology, may save this kind of negative experience
                    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

ya... but research in forums like these really help as sometimes, the packaging instructions are not too explicit... from the vids in meguiars.com, it appears you have to be really generous with the QD.

thanks for the inputs.

just a question though, is it possible that I have removed the clear coat in the first claying and cleaner wax application or highly unlikely?

thanks.

Comment

Also, using insufficient lubricant is more likely to introduce very light scratches (in straight lines) during claying rather than swirls, since you clay in straight lines. Most likely, as others have said, the claying just uncovered existing swirls and made them more visible.
                        2010 XRS

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');