• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really a difference in Car Wash Soaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there really a difference in Car Wash Soaps?

Originally posted by Expertcarpetcare View Post
    I pick up a gallon of Simonize for 17.99, I see Meguiars for 33.99,
    In your specific case, the reason is distribution costs. In the US, a gallon is $12.99 from ADS. Maybe you can find someone else selling it cheaper.
    Al
    ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
      Very nice answer, Shane.

Car soaps are no different than any other product made in the world; quality costs. That's like asking why is this name brand computer better than this no-name computer? Sure they both have a power button, a monitor, a CPU, etc. However, the more expensive name brand computer is going to have better quality components, better manufacturing, quality control, etc. Same with soaps. A bottle of Gold Class Shampoo is going to have higher quality ingredients, more specialized lubricants, etc than a cheap bottle of brand x car wash soap.

Sorry for the terrible computer analogy. Hopefully you got what I was trying to say.

Colin
      I used to be a buyer for a lagre upscale clothes store chain. We also owned a discount chain, similar to WallyMart. We would buy a zillion shirts, say, and sell them at the upscale store for $60.00, and sell exactly the same shirt at the lower chain for $14.99. If people think is something is expensive, they assume it is better. Not necessarily so, and in my opinion it is exactly the same for car soap (and many other things). If the bottle says it will not strip wax, I will buy it, any brand, and whatever is the cheapest.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
        I used to be a buyer for a lagre upscale clothes store chain. We also owned a discount chain, similar to WallyMart. We would buy a zillion shirts, say, and sell them at the upscale store for $60.00, and sell exactly the same shirt at the lower chain for $14.99. If people think is something is expensive, they assume it is better. Not necessarily so, and in my opinion it is exactly the same for car soap (and many other things). If the bottle says it will not strip wax, I will buy it, any brand, and whatever is the cheapest.
        In your case, I think you're just looking for whatever gets the job done. Which is fine, as that is what most people are wanting anyway. But I am picky, and I want what gets the job done the best. Which is why 100% of the time I would choose Shampoo Plus over Blue Coral car wash any day of the week. I've used both, and Shampoo Plus is the better soap in every aspect, even though it's probably 6 times the price of the Blue Coral. Sure, Blue Coral may not strip wax, but Shampoo Plus cleans better, leaves a better finish, has more lubricity, improves gloss - it's just better. So I'm more than willing to pay more for it. Therefore, I will stick with my previous statement, "Cheaper is not always better."
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Well the best way for me to find out was to buy some and try it. I bought a half gallon of Gold Class which was only $20.00 and tried it on my fairly dirty truck. In this first trial I mixed 1 oz to 1 gallon warm water and found that it did not foam at all and left dirt residue on the truck. I had to go over it with slick mist to get all the residue the Gold Class left behind.

I did like the smell of it tho. Smells... I dunno, high end... professional!

Now this is not a fair appraisal of the product as there must have been some contamination to cause zero foam. Im thinking the wash mitt I used must have had some oil residue in it from washing a few cars that have had oil spray lately. And an oily sponge or mitt will kill foam instantly.

I'll try again, I still have lots left and lots of cars to wash. I'll make my final assumption when I use up the half gallon.

As for finding it at a better price, still no luck. That was Canadian tire for that price. I'll keep trying to find a better dealer, but ordering from the states, even if they will ship, means extra shipping, taxes and brokerage charges to get it over the border, making it cost about the same by the time it get to my door ;(

Comment

I used many different car washes over the years and initially I was not impressed with the Gold Class wash until I used something else in between when I had run out. What a mistake! I observed an immediate difference in the end result of the wash and how the paint finish looked and felt. The paint did not feel right without using the Gold Class, so I went and bought more and rewashed the car. There is a noticeable difference, but as with anything, you might get used to the better result and not even know it until later. With the Gold Class I do observe that I introduce far less new defects into the paint versus other washes. There are certain areas that are more prone to defects and I can see them as they add, or hopefully don't add up.

Comment

Tried it on another truck today, it foamed a little better but still having issues with all these autos getting oiled now. The oil is an instant defoamer. Anyway, the truck looked good, and I still have lots of product to go before making a final assessment, and maybe you are right, maybe i wont notice until I go back to the Simoniz?

Comment

Having the physical bubbles really isn't a big deal. In fact, IIRC Mike Phillips used to add the soap the bucket AFTER the water and just mix it around. As long as the soap is mixed in it will do its job to lubricate and remove. The suds are something that most consumers associate with cleaning action - but it isn't technically necessary for some soaps.

Does it feel as if the soap is doing a good job lubricating the surface during the wash? That is one thing I always found Gold Class to be great at.

Comment

Seriously it's hard to tell when the vehicle is covered in an oil mist. I'll update when we get some non oiled cars in, but "tis the season right now!

Comment

Ok we have now cleaned several cars that are not oil misted. I know this is a meguiars site and I by no means am endorsing any products or intending to "bash" any of the meguiars line, I am simply reporting the results of our testing whether they be in favor or against favor of a meguiars product. This is for learning purposes only and others are free to disagree so please dont kick me off the site if I say I wasnt happy with Gold Class Soap.

After washing several cars ranging from severely dirty to moderately soiled, we have found that the Gold Class soap is not removing all the soil. We run a white terry towel over the car after a complete and throrough hand wash using the quick detailer, and the towel is completely soiled after wiping down the car. Areas are coming up that were scrubbed by sponge and soap that still have a film of dirt. This does not happen with the other brands of soap we use.

Again, Im not trying to bash any product here, but my theory is this:
                    The Gold Class perhaps is designed for use on showcars that are only lightly soiled. The focus in design of the gold class is to be gentle enough to keep all wax finishes and enhance shine on an already clean paint. So If I want something that is going to take soil and particularly oily soils off a dirty car, I am better off with a more aggressive formula, and save the gold class for cars that I'm doing a second wash, or very lightly soiled vehicles.

As a carpet cleaner by trade, I can relate to this, we use 2 different carpet cleaning detergents. One is of regular strength for regular to moderate soil, then we have the "strong stuff" for use on trashed carpet. Same goes for interior vehicle shampooing.

Always use the least aggressive method applies to cleaning as well. using the strongest stuff on the most delicate surface is not always the best idea and does not ensure the best results. Use the right tool for the right job!

So, we are going to keep some Gold Class in stock, but its not for the dirty cars!

Comment

Originally posted by Expertcarpetcare View Post
                      Ok we have now cleaned several cars that are not oil misted. I know this is a meguiars site and I by no means am endorsing any products or intending to "bash" any of the meguiars line, I am simply reporting the results of our testing whether they be in favor or against favor of a meguiars product. This is for learning purposes only and others are free to disagree so please dont kick me off the site if I say I wasnt happy with Gold Class Soap.

After washing several cars ranging from severely dirty to moderately soiled, we have found that the Gold Class soap is not removing all the soil. We run a white terry towel over the car after a complete and throrough hand wash using the quick detailer, and the towel is completely soiled after wiping down the car. Areas are coming up that were scrubbed by sponge and soap that still have a film of dirt. This does not happen with the other brands of soap we use.

Again, Im not trying to bash any product here, but my theory is this:
                      The Gold Class perhaps is designed for use on showcars that are only lightly soiled. The focus in design of the gold class is to be gentle enough to keep all wax finishes and enhance shine on an already clean paint. So If I want something that is going to take soil and particularly oily soils off a dirty car, I am better off with a more aggressive formula, and save the gold class for cars that I'm doing a second wash, or very lightly soiled vehicles.

As a carpet cleaner by trade, I can relate to this, we use 2 different carpet cleaning detergents. One is of regular strength for regular to moderate soil, then we have the "strong stuff" for use on trashed carpet. Same goes for interior vehicle shampooing.

Always use the least aggressive method applies to cleaning as well. using the strongest stuff on the most delicate surface is not always the best idea and does not ensure the best results. Use the right tool for the right job!

So, we are going to keep some Gold Class in stock, but its not for the dirty cars!

I think you should give Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash a try.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I have always been one to try out as many products as I can so I probably will even though that is $40 a gallon where I live! But how do you know you are using the best product, unless you have tried them all?

Comment

Better yet, give the hotline a call (the number is on the back of every Meguiar's product) and tell them about your experience. They should take care of you.

By the way, you are perfectly welcome now and in the future to post an honest review of any product, by any company. We just don't support outright bashing...especially of other brands.

Comment

Dredging this one up again because I finally got to try Next Gen Car wash soap and I really like it! Unlike the video testing between Gold Class and Simonz, the Next Gen did not leave behind any dirt. The towel was white after a wipedown.

Also the paint glowed so much the customers were commenting on how clean my van looked considering it was winter!

Next Gen for the win!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');