• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

proper speed for p/c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper speed for p/c

Hi, just joined the site and love it. I purchased the p/c and use the 8006 buffing pad, that pad seems to work best .I was wondering what speed on the dial should i use if trying to buff swirls out with # 82 and also should i change the speed when appyling nxt? appreciate all your feedback thanks

Thanks tim for your advice, i will try that.One thing i noticed is that the rpm really slow up when i am doing top panels,p/c seems to spin easier when doing fenders,doors or quater panels.Do you use any type of lube on the 8006 pad before appyling any product? I do try to use very light pressure when using the p/c and let the machine do the work. thanks kenny

Comment

Originally posted by mtp78
      Thanks Tim for your advice, I will try that. One thing i noticed is that the rpm really slow up when i am doing top panels, p/c seems to spin easier when doing fenders, doors or quarter panels. Do you use any type of lube on the 8006 pad before applying any product? I do try to use very light pressure when using the p/c and let the machine do the work. thanks Kenny
      Hi Kenny,

It's actually OPM, (oscillations per minute), not RPM, although the pad does spin in a circular motion when not too much pressure is being applied.

The porter cable slows down when the entire pad is in contact with the paint and pressure is applied. When going from horizontal to vertical panels, you may be experiencing different surface contact percentages? Just a guess but I notice it too. Sometimes it seems as though it doesn’t matter if I’m pushing hard or soft, it still spins? Go figure…

As far as a lube goes, you can spray on some Quick Detailer when using the paint cleaners, and cleaner polishes, but you shouldn’t spray any Quik Detailer onto the pad, or the panel when applying a wax.

One more note: You can use the higher speed settings for the dual action polisher but remember that Meguiar’s foam pads and the backing plates are not really intended for use over the 5.0 setting, (and even this is pushing it). So use at your own risk. These higher settings create a lot of heat between the backing plate and the foam pad and you may experience pad failure.

Just a heads up...

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi mike, thanks for your advice.I will try your tips the next time i use the p/c. If i can ask your your advice on what products to use when polish and waxing a vehicle.I like all the products offered by meguiars, It just becomes so confusing with all the cleaners,polishes,and waxes that are offered.I read your step by step on the black vette you detailed. Is the #82 the best to use with the p/c when trying to remove slight scratches,swirls and blemishes. and finsihing off with the nxt texh wax. I do some detailing and want to be able to use just three or four products. I just ordered the color x,#82 and nxt. Your advice would help me alot Thanks Mike kenny

Comment

Originally posted by mtp78
          Hi mike, thanks for your advice. I will try your tips the next time i use the p/c. If i can ask your your advice on what products to use when polish and waxing a vehicle. I like all the products offered by Meguiar’s, It just becomes so confusing with all the cleaners, polishes, and waxes that are offered. I read your step by step on the black vette you detailed. Is the #82 the best to use with the p/c when trying to remove slight scratches, swirls and blemishes. and finishing off with the nxt tech wax. I do some detailing and want to be able to use just three or four products. I just ordered the color x,#82 and nxt. Your advice would help me a lot Thanks Mike kenny
          If I had to choose just four products to do some paint detailing, I would choose,

Quik Clay System
          The most important thing for increasing gloss is getting the surface smooth. After that the most important thing is getting the finish clean. After washing a car, always inspect the surface with the clean palm of your hand to feel for bonded contaminants. If you discover any, then use a clay bar and a spray lubricant to remove them before using a paint cleaner, cleaner/polish, pure polish or paint protectant.

Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
          If this don't remove the defect with the PC and a W-8006 polishing pad, then chances are good you will have to resort to a rotary buffer. In most cases, the results the #83/W-8006/PC combo produces will satisfy a majority of people without having to get more aggressive.

M-8232 Swirl Free Polish
          #82 Swirl Free Polish leaves a clear, reflective finish and a perfect base for applying any Meguiar's wax over. If you can use #82 instead of something more aggressive it is the way to go.

NXT Generation Tech Wax

Two coats of this wax leaves a crystal clear finish with slickness, gloss and excellent reflectivity. It can also help to eliminate fine scratches.

The above four products should get your through most paint finishes that you will come across. Any finish that the above products will not tackle will more than likely mean using a compound and a rotary buffer. Unless your experienced with a rotary buffer, it's probably not a good idea to learn how to use one unless you have something to practice on first.

If you want a good one-step cleaner wax that will tackle a wide range of paint conditions, the ColorX is a great product for use by hand, or with the PC.

Hope this helps...

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Hoping to not stray this offtopic too much, I see you recommend #83 and #82 (lesser abrasives should be tried first I understand in most cases), but how different are #9 v2.0 and #82?

I'm a little puzzled by that arrangement, can you help out?
            2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

Since we are on the topic of speed should it vary for different paint? For instance on my 76 vette show car that has 10 yr old sikkens on it can I go with a higher speed compared to a newer C5? And, can you go right from DACP to a polish or wax or do you need to use something like ColorX, #9 or 3M 39009 ssr before the final wax coat?

Comment

Originally posted by agentf1
                Since we are on the topic of speed should it vary for different paint? For instance on my 76 vette show car that has 10 yr old Sikkens on it can I go with a higher speed compared to a newer C5? And, can you go right from DACP to a polish or wax or do you need to use something like ColorX, #9 or 3M 39009 ssr before the final wax coat?
                For the most part, PC speed shouldn’t vary between paint types, only paint condition and procedure.

If your finish is in excellent condition, and all your trying to do is apply a coat of polish or wax, then low speeds, (below 4.0), are fine. If you finish is in neglected condition, or has scratches, then a higher speed will be necessary in order to remove the defects and restore clarity and gloss.

As to your other questions, polishing with a pure polish is an extra step. If you have a dark colored car, you may want to take this extra step for the darkness and increase in gloss.

If you want to skip this step that is perfectly okay also. After going over your car's finish with the #83 DACP, you can go right to a wax like the NXT Tech Wax.

I know we did this to about a dozen Viper's last Saturday and the results were always flawless, wet looking finishes.

Hope this helps...

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                  If I had to choose just four products to do some paint detailing, I would choose,

Quik Clay System
                  The most important thing for increasing gloss is getting the surface smooth. After that the most important thing is getting the finish clean. After washing a car, always inspect the surface with the clean palm of your hand to feel for bonded contaminants. If you discover any, then use a clay bar and a spray lubricant to remove them before using a paint cleaner, cleaner/polish, pure polish or paint protectant.

Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
                  If this don't remove the defect with the PC and a W-8006 polishing pad, then chances are good you will have to resort to a rotary buffer. In most cases, the results the #83/W-8006/PC combo produces will satisfy a majority of people without having to get more aggressive.

M-8232 Swirl Free Polish
                  #82 Swirl Free Polish leaves a clear, reflective finish and a perfect base for applying any Meguiar's wax over. If you can use #82 instead of something more aggressive it is the way to go.

NXT Generation Tech Wax

Two coats of this wax leaves a crystal clear finish with slickness, gloss and excellent reflectivity. It can also help to eliminate fine scratches.

The above four products should get your through most paint finishes that you will come across. Any finish that the above products will not tackle will more than likely mean using a compound and a rotary buffer. Unless your experienced with a rotary buffer, it's probably not a good idea to learn how to use one unless you have something to practice on first.

If you want a good one-step cleaner wax that will tackle a wide range of paint conditions, the ColorX is a great product for use by hand, or with the PC.

Hope this helps...

Mike
                  I have had the chance to try these 4 steps this year, and I have switched over to this combo for now, as it gives awsome results...I have the ColorX as well.
                  r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellspawn
                    Mike,

Hoping to not stray this offtopic too much, I see you recommend #83 and #82 (lesser abrasives should be tried first I understand in most cases), but how different are #9 v2.0 and #82?

I'm a little puzzled by that arrangement, can you help out?
                    I think #9 was created for single stage paint (But works well for clear coat paint too), and #82 was created with clear coat paint in mind.

#82 will give CC paint incredible gloss.
                    Last edited by rusty bumper; Apr 12, 2004, 10:55 PM.
                    r. b.

Comment

Hope it's okay to jump in here.

In my opinion #9 is slightly less abrasive than #82. They are both listed as 3's on Meguiar's abrasiveness scale, but I would call #9 a 2.5 and #82 a 3.0.

I recommend this - Test #83, #82 and #9 in small sections with the PC on 5.0 then compare.

Hope this helps.
                      Life's short, put the top down!

Comment

PC writeup?

is there a proper use of a PC write up here anywhere? If not, it would be cool if someone with experiance with the PC could write one. I'm hoping to talk the other half into the "PC deal" when Mike gets a chance to post it

Comment

Re: PC writeup?

Originally posted by electricgreen
                          is there a proper use of a PC write up here anywhere? If not, it would be cool if someone with experiance with the PC could write one. I'm hoping to talk the other half into the "PC deal" when Mike gets a chance to post it
                          Here is a page that should be helpful.

Scroll down to: "Power Polishing Safe & Easy"
                          r. b.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');