• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand de-greaser used to clean tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hand de-greaser used to clean tires?

Originally posted by tcope1 View Post
    Which goes to my comment. I question is all of this built in protection should be aggressively removed. Yes, if detailing a vehicle the tires should be cleaned/treated so that they look nice but should their be a compromise between cleaning the tire and dressing it? Do treatments pretty much take the place of these anti-ozone additives? So much so that it does not matter if they are removed?

Just a few thoughts.

Good question and one that I am not qualified to answer. I tend to wash my tires with a tire brush and car wash solution, only using a something stronger once a major build-up of dressings has occurred. When that happens I tend to use APC or EO Tire Cleaner which does a great job of removing the old dressings.

Here is my thought on it. Using a very strong chemical to remove dressing off of tires each and every wash is akin to using a powerful compound every time one wants to remove minor swirling on paint. One of the biggest problems I have seen on the forums as of late are people new to or inexperienced in detailing suggesting to everyone to use a product like M105 as a starting point when in fact it may not be needed. Using too powerful of compound will needlessly remove clear coat which may have not been required had the person used a lighter compound to start with (ie. start with the least aggressive first and work your way to more aggressive products as need be).

Same goes for tire cleaning. My tires are what connect my vehicle to the road. As such, I always buy the best tires I can afford as to me, this is one area where a person should not say, they are "good enough". I clean my tires with stronger products when the need arises and not with every wash. My tires always look pretty good IMHO, so obviously regular aggressive cleaning is not needed.

Now will continual aggressive cleaning of a tire damage it? Again I am not qualified to make that judgement. While the Anti-Ozone additives do wick to the surface as the tire flexes, does aggressive cleaning ruin this feature, I do not know. And because I do not know, I again play it safe and only aggressively clean them when needed.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Nice truck Tim.
      -HealthyCivic
      Check out the glossary

Comment

I should have mentioned one other aspect... perhaps aggressively cleaning a tire would not make a difference a a tire under normal use will wear out before any adverse effect. But the effect I'm concerned about is that a tire cleaned in this fashion may not hold a gloss as well, stay clean, etc. as these built in protestants are being removed. I have a 2006 F150 with 25,000 miles on it. I hardly ever drive it. So keeping the tires in good condition is important to me. While most people are going to wear out there tires within a few years, I think longevity should be considered as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
          Morning,

When a tire turns brown, it is called "blooming" in which case the anti-ozone additives start to wick to the surface of the rubber. Dressings etc will make a tire dirty as they will attract dirt and hold it there making a goo slurry, but the actual browning is from these anti-ozone additives.

Tim
          Thanks for the correction Tim.
          -Kyle

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');