• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Challenger - hard paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Challenger - hard paint

I went to a customer's house this afternoon to give an estimate on removing water spots that were bothering the owner on his pampered 2009 Dodge Challenger in black. While inspecting the paint, I noticed extremely fine isolated scratches. So fine that I would guesstimate they were less than the thickness of a spider's web. I set up a test spot and started with an 8006 pad, M205 and the DA. It barely touched the water spots. I threw on a new 8006 and hit it with M83. After 2 passes, about 50% of the water spots were removed but the super fine scratches remained. So on went another new 8006 and M105. After covering the test spot 6 times to equal 1 pass, the water spots were gone and the super fine scratches were gone. I was really surprised at the hardness of the Dodge paint.

Just FYI for anyone that may detail a Challenger.

Colin
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Re: 2009 Challenger - hard paint

Good information. Our Neon paint is hard as nails too! Must be Dodge paints eh?

I bet you had fun on that Challenger though.....
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

How did the M105 finish out? I'm guessing it needed another step then to finish down LSP ready? Always a bummer to have to do multiple steps for such minor flaws...

Comment

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
          Good information. Our Neon paint is hard as nails too! Must be Dodge paints eh?

I bet you had fun on that Challenger though.....

Aaron, I haven't buffed it out yet, just the test spot. It will be done soon, though. The water spots are just driving the owner crazy. He's had the car about 9 months and it has less than 1,000 miles on it.

Colin
          A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
            Thanks for sharing.

How did the M105 finish out? I'm guessing it needed another step then to finish down LSP ready? Always a bummer to have to do multiple steps for such minor flaws...

Mark, you're right. There was some hazing left by the 105. I followed up with 205 on a finishing pad and it was perfect. The owner was very impressed and can't wait for the whole car to be done.

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
              Mark, you're right. There was some hazing left by the 105. I followed up with 205 on a finishing pad and it was perfect. The owner was very impressed and can't wait for the whole car to be done.

Colin
              Figured, but good to hear it turned out well. Hard paint is a real bummer, but at least you got it to work out in the end

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');