• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the dual action cleaner/polish also good for headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the dual action cleaner/polish also good for headlights?

i ordered plastx for my first bout with headlight cleaning. the distributor i talked to told me that they dont have one at the moment and suggested the dual action cleaner/polish. is it ok for clear plastics?

Re: Is the dual action cleaner/polish also good for headlights?

Probably wouldnt be my first choice. Maybe SwirlX, #80, #9... trying them in a corner so you cant see any mistake.

How bad is it messed up?

Any other products you have available?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

it's blurred and yellowish already. you cannot almost see the insides. i did try wet sanding since i also wanted to eliminate the scratches and applied compound power cleaner and polished it with the dual action polish. it did eliminate the scratches and gave shine but it only lasted for two days. now it's beginning to look yellowish again though not as dark as before.

Comment

Hmm.. not quite sure why it would yellow so fast, at least not that badly.

Any UV coating is likely removed, but still would think it would stay clear longer than two days.

I would be curious if something like a cleaner/wax would help any, at least that would leave some protection behind. Also, the cleaner/wax being mild, would help see how stubborn the staining is.

Comment

i think it's from the heat. is the plastx as convincing as the ads says it is? hehe have to make sure since the nearest distributor in my area is 600+ miles away.

Comment

It is good, and does leave some protection behind.

If you need it is another story. I am not sure if it will solve this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by karen View Post
              it's blurred and yellowish already. you cannot almost see the insides. i did try wet sanding since i also wanted to eliminate the scratches and applied compound power cleaner and polished it with the dual action polish. it did eliminate the scratches and gave shine but it only lasted for two days. now it's beginning to look yellowish again though not as dark as before.

They are turning yellow and blurry again in two days because you failed to remove the oxidation from the headlights completely. It looked clear and shiny initially because the compound left a film of polish on the plastic, making them look more clear.

Comment

i might as well try. i just hope it will last for a month at least. thanks a lot!

Comment

it came to mind also. might as well ask, how thick is a standard headlight?

Comment

Mine are about 1/4". Remember, they are designed to withstand contact with road objects, so they should be fairly thick.

It is suffice to say that when a knee cap (patella) comes into colission with a headlight at high speed, the knee cap would shatter without damaging the headlight , leaving the victim hospitalized in a tremendous deal of excruciating pain.

Comment

hehe ok point taken. i think am gonna have to repeat step 1. armed this time. thanks a whole lot guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');