• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

acid rain spot removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acid rain spot removal

Hello all out there I am hoping that someone can help answer my question. I own a 07 chrslyer 300 that I am having problems getting the maxuim shine as it seems the finish has permanent water spots or acid rain spots so I have been told .

I am trying to figure out the best way of removing the spots, I have tried light rubbing compounds, swirl X, and and various waxes (the best being Meguiars NXT so far) but at the end of the day I always just seem to have extremely glassy, shiny, water beading spots, with the car only looking realy good from about 30 feet away . Now one thing I am doing this all by hand it usually takes me a good 4 hours or so to complete the car but I am starting to think that the spots will not come off becuase I am not using a machine buffer, I am relentless when rubbing the car out but it just doesnt seem to be making any kind of effect on the spots.

Does anyone out there know of a better way, I have been looking into a clay bar will that help to remove stuborn water spots? Any help would be much appreciated thank you!!

Re: acid rain spot removal

Take pics to show your problem if possible.

Clay bar is always a great step before any compounding though it won't remove the water spots. I've had great success with Meguiar's #105 on tough spots, finished with Meguiar's #205. If it's not the product you're using, your hand job may be the problem. I'd hate to attempt it without a buffer (I'm too old for that much elbow grease). In the end you may need a wool pad if the stains are extremely stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by HCAD View Post
      Take pics to show your problem if possible.

Clay bar is always a great step before any compounding though it won't remove the water spots. I've had great success with Meguiar's #105 on tough spots, finished with Meguiar's #205. If it's not the product you're using, your hand job may be the problem. I'd hate to attempt it without a buffer (I'm too old for that much elbow grease). In the end you may need a wool pad if the stains are extremely stubborn.
      I would not go as far as suggesting a wool pad And its probably not best to start with M105 Ultra Cut Compound either.

"Use the least aggressive method to get the job done"

That said, since your working by hand, start with something mild, such as Meguiars SwirlX and a foam applicator pad. If thats not removing the water spots then move up to ScratchX 2.0 and possibly Ultimate Compound.

Are the water spots in certain areas or on the whole car?

This may help:

How To Remove Water Spots
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by tamustang1998 View Post
        I am trying to figure out the best way of removing the spots, I have tried light rubbing compounds, swirl X, and and various waxes...
        Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
        "Use the least aggressive method to get the job done"

That said, since your working by hand, start with something mild, such as Meguiars SwirlX
        I read that we've already been there. ??

Least aggressive method is to eliminate any extra steps, true? In my suggestion, I'm not adding any extra steps. He will only have to use #105 to remove the swirls/spots and then #205 to polish. What's less aggressive than that? I'm confused.

Comment

. He will only have to use #105 to remove the swirls/spots and then #205 to polish.
          Meguiars offers a lot of paint care products besides M105 that remove swirls, scratches, and other paint problems, such as water spots.

The water spots may come out with ScratchX 2.0 or Ultimate Compound. They might even come out with multiple well worked in applications of SwirlX.

The thing is we shouldnt be suggesting wool pads as that can produce an even greater problem, And even if he did use SwirlX properly there is still ScratchX 2.0 and Ultimate Compound to try on the water spots instead of jumping right to M105 Ultra Cut Compound which is Meguiars most powerful compound.
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Well I really wish someone else would jump in the middle here so it doesn't seem like we're high-jacking the thread.

But ... it seems like we're offering two ways to the same end. Throwing out opinions really. He can certianly try multiple SwirlX attempts. Follow it with ScratchX 2.0. Finally try Ultimate Compound if the others fail.

Or ... with one coat of #105, maybe even one coat of #205, he could be done. Even though you describe it as "Meguiar's most powerful compound", I wouldn't want tamustang to be scared to death of it. It's a VERY easy product to use.

In the end, how much product do you want to buy? If you're a professional you probably have all of the above items in your tool bag. If you're just trying to clean your own personal car and can't afford to buy several different levels of cleaner, why not go with what you know will work? And about the wool pad, I only added that as a final solution if all else seems to fail. Maybe I should add, "See your local professional for wool pad usage".

Truce?

Comment

Well I really wish someone else would jump in the middle here so it doesn't seem like we're high-jacking the thread.
              Huh? Wasnt really listening....

But it would help some if we knew what products have been tried so far, beside SwirlX?

There is a reason that you want to do a test spot/panel with a product, so you dont do the entire car for 4 hours, and find out it didnt work.

If working by hand, then Ultimate Compound would be the Meguiars product to try next, though I wouldnt be 'relentless' with it. It is actually strong, and at some point, you do have to worry about paint removal. I would try a 2x2 area, spread some around, and work it in with firm, even pressure for about 30 seconds. If 3 coats like that dont do it, I'd be considering stopping.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Or ... with one coat of #105, maybe even one coat of #205, he could be done. Even though you describe it as "Meguiar's most powerful compound", I wouldn't want tamustang to be scared to death of it. It's a VERY easy product to use.
                Just to chime in....

Meguiar's M105 is Meguiar's most aggressive compound and while it is easy to use, it should not be used unless necessary as it will remove more paint than may be required.

Meguiar's method of using the least aggressive method is not to save steps, but to save excessive paint removal which may not needed. While the average consumer may not have all of the various products, they should not be advised to start with the most aggressive compound and perhaps remove unnecessary amounts of CC in the process.

To the original poster, it would be helpful if you could post some pics so we can actually see what type of water spot damage you may have. That way, we can recommend the right the way to deal with such a problem.

Some water spotting can be removed with a paint cleaner while other spots that are etched deeply into the paint may need more aggressive approach, but we will take that step if only needed. Be advised, some of the spots may be too deep to safely remove.

How did you apply the SwirlX? When I was testing the pre-production sample, I found SwirlX to be very mild. You could use ScratchX 2.0 or even Ultimate Compound both of which are far milder than M105. The biggest thing however, is using these products with the correct technique. Please take a look at the below links....

Working by Hand
                How-To’s
                How To Use Scratch-X by Hand
                How To Remove Swirls By Hand
                Techniques
                Circles or Straight Lines?
                How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound
                How To Remove Water Spots

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

I hope this helps!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thank you all!

Sorry I had to run for a bit, but let me be specific on what I am doing. First I start with a quick wash of the car followed by a dry, then I use a rubbing compound (turtle polishing compound hopefully no one gets ticked but it is what I had left over from last summer ;o) then I move on to Meguiars swirl X to remove some of the light swirls left behind from the rubbing compound, after that I follow up with Meguiars NXT 2 coats as I live in seattle and you always have to plan for rain.

I was going to try and post a pic but it was a bit overcast today and it was hard for me to actually get the right light and angle to capture the spots on camera as the car is white. I will give it another shot tomorrow

Comment

Its not that we mind other companies products. It is that we mind when you say
                    "then I move on to Meguiars swirl X to remove some of the light swirls left behind from the rubbing compound"
                    Why use a product that will defineatley leave marks behind?

At any rate, try a test spot with Ultiamte Compound, worked in with even, moderate pressure, over a 2x2 area. as mentioned above, just do a test spot, or panel.

Comment

tamustang - I have a similiar issue on my '04 black Mustang GT. I really notice the spots after drying the car with a water blade and a microfiber towel. I don't have a machine (yet), so I am doing evrything by hand and not having much sucess. I will be attending the detail class on September 19th and I hoping to come away with some possible solutions.

Comment

Going and seeing the actual process is definitely a big help over trying to describe it.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');