• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-to Wash your car with a Rinse-less Wash System [video]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How-to Wash your car with a Rinse-less Wash System [video]

Hi Mark...Odd to see you were doing a Fiesta?

Being kind to the environment is a plus.

Looking at the mit at the end,would you say the upper surfaces of the car had a little more than just light dust? If it's just light dust I just use the UQD and a micro or 2. So is this better if there is a bit more....somewhere inbetween qiuk detailing and a full wash?

Also,can you do the same using the same ratio of water with Quik detailer?

Would using the 2 bucket method not aid in removing a lot of the dirt as in a regular wash?,albeit using more water.

If you say you've been doing this a while and there are no swirls etc.,then it seems a good way to go...Seeing the mit at the end freaked me out a bit!

Comment

Great video Mark!! Can't wait to see what else you have in store.

Keep it up.

Ryan
      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Nice Video, but the mitt made me cringe.

I don't understand what the advantage to this is instead of just using Last Touch, QD, UQD etc on a Supreme Shine MF towel. The surface cannot be the least bit dirty when using your method, it would have to scratch the surface in some way. What does the water provide? More lubricity, or just a pool for the dirt from the mitt?
        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
          Hi Mark...Odd to see you were doing a Fiesta?

Being kind to the environment is a plus.

Looking at the mit at the end,would you say the upper surfaces of the car had a little more than just light dust? If it's just light dust I just use the UQD and a micro or 2. So is this better if there is a bit more....somewhere inbetween qiuk detailing and a full wash?

Also,can you do the same using the same ratio of water with Quik detailer?

Would using the 2 bucket method not aid in removing a lot of the dirt as in a regular wash?,albeit using more water.

If you say you've been doing this a while and there are no swirls etc.,then it seems a good way to go...Seeing the mit at the end freaked me out a bit!

Just to clear things up (there was a note in the video, but since a few people missed it, I guess I wasn't very clear! My bad!) the mitt was dirty because that shot was AFTER the wheels were also washed.

The mitt was barely dirty after the entire body and windows were washed.

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
            Nice Video, but the mitt made me cringe.

I don't understand what the advantage to this is instead of just using Last Touch, QD, UQD etc on a Supreme Shine MF towel. The surface cannot be the least bit dirty when using your method, it would have to scratch the surface in some way. What does the water provide? More lubricity, or just a pool for the dirt from the mitt?
            A wash mitt is much plusher hence meaning it has more room to trap the dirt/dust in it's fibers. Mixing it (Last Touch in this case) allows for a nice lubricious formula so gently lift everything off the surface.

Spraying Last Touch on the paint wouldn't put enough liquid there unless you spray for ever and ever. You would waste a lot of product and time as well.

Ryan
            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
              Just to clear things up (there was a note in the video, but since a few people missed it, I guess I wasn't very clear! My bad!) the mitt was dirty because that shot was AFTER the wheels were also washed.

The mitt was barely dirty after the entire body and windows were washed.
              Okay Mark...That makes much more sense now

Maybe i didn't hear...I had the sound pretty low.

Comment

Hey Mark. A few questions:

1.) Did you use a grit-guard?

2.) What about the 2 bucket method? I would think that without water you would need it even more since there is no rinsing or pre-wetting going on and literally all dirt will be on the mitt.

3.) Have you ever compared the results to a conventional wash (checked for swirls)? I think it's definitely a good alternative in a pinch or when water is limited but I'm 99% sure using this vs. a full wash will result in more swirls eventually if not immediately.

All in all, thanks for the introduction of this method. It's definitely something I may be able to use down the road or show to a friend.
                -HealthyCivic
                Check out the glossary

Comment

Another Alternative to this is using Last Touch Diluted 1:1. I have never actually use Last Touch full strength. I always use diluted version for my rinseless washing. Of course you have to saturated the surface with the product, but you are still using half than normal.

The wheels make sense, I probably would still just stick with Quik Wheel Detailer and a MF.
                  Matt

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
                    Hey Mark. A few questions:

1.) Did you use a grit-guard?

2.) What about the 2 bucket method? I would think that without water you would need it even more since there is no rinsing or pre-wetting going on and literally all dirt will be on the mitt.

3.) Have you ever compared the results to a conventional wash (checked for swirls)? I think it's definitely a good alternative in a pinch or when water is limited but I'm 99% sure using this vs. a full wash will result in more swirls eventually if not immediately.

All in all, thanks for the introduction of this method. It's definitely something I may be able to use down the road or show to a friend.
                    1.) I did use a grit guard.

2.) I have tried 1 and 2 buckets, and the difference wasn't measurable.

3.) I only use this method on cars that have light contamination- no actual heavy dirt particle or mud. That type of thing requires a pre-wash rinse regardless of method.

In fact, in that situation, I typically rinse with a hose to blow away large debris and particles and then pull it into the garage and use the Last Touch solution for a rinse-less style wash. Last Touch is also ideal for this purpose because it does an incredible job at removing fresh water spots.

As for it causing swirls, I too used to believe that (when I heard about ONR), but I tried ONR until my gallon ran out and never caused any noteworthy swirls, and then moved onto experimenting with Last Touch.

I've been using it for several months and gone through a few gallons with this process. My Focus is red and moderately soft paint, and it doesn't swirl that (several months testing on that).

My Fiesta is black and I can honestly say the condition of the paint has not changed 1 bit since April when I got the car (already with some holograms and swirls).

I also have clients that I have fully corrected and use Last Touch washes exclusively on those and they are 95%~ swirl free after months of use as well.

Once you try it, and feel how easily it glides over the surface...you will understand how it is possible.

They key is to be very gentle and not to scrub. I also think the Meguiar's microfiber mitt is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                      I wouldn't call it official, ...
                      # 1 I am concerned that general YouTube watching public might believe this is Meguiar's endorsed official method thanks to starting video with Meguiar's logo, title 'Detailing How To' over it and Meguiar's logo, and thanks to being shot at Meguiar's headquarters by MOL mod with Meguiar's logo prominent in the background.

# 2 How much of LT gets used per wash?

Comment

Once again, Great work Mark. Very good video. Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Mark, I have used ONR, and have found using a Grout Sponge to be more effective for this procedure as opposed to a mit. Just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                            # 1 I am concerned that general YouTube watching public might believe this is Meguiar's endorsed official method thanks to starting video with Meguiar's logo, title 'Detailing How To' over it and Meguiar's logo, and thanks to being shot at Meguiar's headquarters by MOL mod with Meguiar's logo prominent in the background.

# 2 How much of LT gets used per wash?
                            Mike Pennington invited me to do this, and actually was the one that filmed it. I'm pretty sure Meguiar's is ok with it

I mentioned in the video to add 1 ounce of Last Touch per gallon of water- same ratio as ONR. (But Last Touch costs half as much)
                            Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                            Once again, Great work Mark. Very good video. Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us.
                            Thanks!
                            Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
                            Mark, I have used ONR, and have found using a Grout Sponge to be more effective for this procedure as opposed to a mit. Just something to think about.
                            I know the grout sponge is very popular, but it just isn't for me personally. I have no complaints with the microfiber mitt...it has worked very well and I love how soft it is and how easily it slides over the surface.

If I get to a point where I notice I am causing swirls I may experiment with something like a grout sponge (the infamous Lowe's sponge, right?) and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip, though!

Comment

On top of the washing, you can also use a spray bottle with the solution and spray each panel as you wash as well.

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
                                On top of the washing, you can also use a spray bottle with the solution and spray each panel as you wash as well.
                                +1 I have done that as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');