• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

winter washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter washing

I dont have access to a heated garage but I do have access to 2 car washes.

One is you do it yourself they give you the hose which has prewash/ wash/soap/wax options

Second is the typical gas station touchless carwash but most of them their basic has some sort of soap that might strip off existing wax.

Which would you guys prefer to use?

Here is what I use to do before I had a garage... I would go to the do it your self coin operated car wash. Take my wash mit (1 or 2), wash the entire car down with soap only and let the time run out on the car wash (this step NEVER cleans the car no matter what and that is where the mit comes in). Then wipe the car down with your mits with the soap that you sprayed on the car. Once thats done feed the car wash some more money and do the rinse/spot free rinse step. Only problem, and its kind of a big one... is if the car is very dirty you can't wash your mit out and you could easily introduce swirls. So I have heard of people doing this.... you could also take your own bucket of soap and water (if you have a bucket with a lid) and use it when you are using your mit to help rinse the grime out. Either way you want to go when there is little to no traffic at the carwash, i always went late at might.

I have never really liked the automatic car washes at the local gas station. There is alot of water pressure beating on your car and that concerns me. Either carwash you use I feel that its going to strip some wax off. Just my .02.

Now that I have a garage I went out and bought a small electric heater and fire it up in the garage an hour or so before I wash. Depending on how cold it is outside it stays between 50-60 degrees.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

In addition to the coin op washing in the winter, It sure would be good if Meguiars introduced another wash in the NXT line very similar to Protectall's Quick and Easy Wash ( QEW) This stuff is a godsend for those with no garage/hose of their own or for winter washing!
      my product collection-- New !
      My Detailing Credo
      Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D
        In addition to the coin op washing in the winter, It sure would be good if Meguiars introduced another wash in the NXT line very similar to Protectall's Quick and Easy Wash ( QEW) This stuff is a godsend for those with no garage/hose of their own or for winter washing!

It would even be good for those with a garage. After washing in the winter you can ice skate on my driveway, I try to keep the water to a minimum. I usually have to take the ice scraper out there after I am done.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

My typical winter routine is to seek out a coin op that has 'hot' water. I'll fill one of my 5-gallon buckets 1/2 full with my shampoo/water solution. The other gets fresh water. Both get a lid snapped on the top to avoid slosh. From there, I toss them in the back of the truck and roll to the previously mentioned coin op.

Once there, I'll simply utilize the hot water that is available from the wash. I'll pressure wash everything, paying special attention to extra grimy areas (wells, wheels etc). I'll hand wash the truck using the two-bucket method just like I would if I was at my house (note: I've often dumped the fresh water bucket and have had to splurge for water to fill the bucket back up). 95 times out of 100 I can do the entire vehicle in an expedited fashion and then do a final rinse, again, using fresh water. So, in short, I only use two full cycles of water from the coin op.

So far, I've had nothing but good luck with this method and, while it is a pain in the rump, I see it as a big plus over turning my driveway to a sheet of ice.

(note: Some coin ops don't allow hand washing (because it cuts into their profits) -- please respect these owners wishes and find a place that doesn't have the 'no hand wash' placard posted -- I find that washing at night is beneficial from a crowd standpoint).

RP
          -The Final Detail-
          Lagrange, Kentucky
          thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
          CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Or do what I do. Take a designated Saturday, make sure the sun is out but the car is still in the shade and pray you don't come in contact with any viruses.

Since I now have a minivan + a sedan, I will most likely get a mitt with extended handle so I don't have to come in contact with water that much.

I live in an apartment and have the garage packed with stuff since the apartment is too small. My cars suffer through the winter. But the wife and I are going to start looking for houses hopefully soon. But until then, looks like Winter 04-05 is gonna another suffering year.

There is a coin ones nearby but do they use recycled water? I heard they were bad.
            1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
            2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

Comment

My method is basically the same as RP's. I use 4-5 mitts per vehicle for the wash using the two bucket wash. I spray the wheel wells with Citri gel or other APC, wheels with wheel cleaner if needed after rinse the whole vehicle. I am sure to clean the door jambs to help prevent rust and dirty pant legs.
              This usually takes me two rinse cycles at the coin-op, one to rinse the vehicle and one to rinse the car wash off. The whole process take me about 30 minutes to an 1 hour depending on the size of the vehicle.

Eric
              Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');