• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning White Letter tires on alum wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning White Letter tires on alum wheels

I have raised white letter tires mounted on uncoated aluminum wheels. I currently use Westley's Bleach White to clean the tires but it stains the polished aluminum. Everytime I clean the tires I then have to go back and polish out the spots in the wheels. Because these wheels are on my daily driver/tow vehicle I am constantly cleaning and this process is getting old so I am looking for some product that will protect the aluminum. Does Meguires make any product that will protect uncoated aluminum or would I be better off clear coating the wheels? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Re: Cleaning White Letter tires on alum wheels

Welcome to Meguiars Online!!
    I would use Mag and Aluminum Polish.
    Then seal with NXT 2.0 Tech Wax.
    Although Westley's May go through that after a few times.
    Do you wet the wheel first.
    Try a different product like Meguiars Detailer Line All Purpose Cleaner or Super Degreaser.
    If you go that option buy a sample for ADS/Auto Detailing Solutions.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

I love Westley's, but unfortunately, it will cut through pretty much any sealant/wax you have on your wheels.
      -Will-

CDO ATW

Comment

Originally posted by shayes View Post
        I have raised white letter tires mounted on uncoated aluminum wheels. I currently use Westley's Bleach White to clean the tires but it stains the polished aluminum. Everytime I clean the tires I then have to go back and polish out the spots in the wheels. Because these wheels are on my daily driver/tow vehicle I am constantly cleaning and this process is getting old so I am looking for some product that will protect the aluminum. Does Meguires make any product that will protect uncoated aluminum or would I be better off clear coating the wheels? I would appreciate any suggestions.
        I started using Bleche White diluted 1:1 and it helped, however, Westley's is stout stuff and I still ended up polishing. Not a Megs product but I started using Amazing Roll Off and found it to be as effective without obliterating the wax or sealant when used 1:1. Your mileage may vary.

TL

Comment

Have you tried an "All Wheel Cleaner" to see if it does an adequate job of cleaning the tires? Maybe it will be more gentle on your wheels. My Rangers ('96 & '98) do have a clear coat on the wheels, but the Eagle One All Wheel Cleaner works fine on my white letter outlined tires. I use a soft brush on both the wheels & tires - spraying the wheels & tires, waiting a minute or so, brushing the wheels and then the tires. Just bought Meg's Hot Rims® All Wheel® Cleaner, but haven't used it yet.

Comment

Use the cleaner sparingly. Sounds to me like you are using too much. I have to clean RWL tires on uncoated aluminum wheels and never have a problem. Though, I don't use anything that strong that I cannot completely control, as in controlling the running/dripping of the product. I personally use Eagle One Wheel and Tire Cleaner Foam. No runs or drips; stays exactly where you spray it.

Comment

Cut a piece of coated cardboard, stiff plastic, or thin wood so it that fits into the rim of your wheel. That way when you spray the cleaner on your tire, it won't get on the wheel. I've even seen these for sale with a handle in the center.

Comment

Originally posted by Make 'em Last View Post
                Have you tried an "All Wheel Cleaner" to see if it does an adequate job of cleaning the tires?
                I would not suggest this. Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner is not recommended on bare aluminum (it has a pH of about 2.0), Meguiar's Aluminum wheel cleaner is (pH 7.0 - same as water).

Westley's Bleach White is very alkaline (pH 12.5-13.5) but so are products like Super Degreaser and All Purpose Cleaner (not as high). However, you can mix both with water to your liking. I assume you could do the same with Westley's Bleach White.

The best thing to do is avoid getting tire cleaners on uncoated aluminum wheels. Spray your wheels with water first or cover them. Don't use so much cleaning product or dilute it and do double the scrubbing. A good scrubbing with car wash soap does wonders.

Another thing you can do is hold a rag underneath the white letters as you are scrubbing them to catch the run off. You don't need to clean the remainder of the tire with such an aggressive product.

Comment

(UK) Race Glaze Whitewall Tyre Cleaner - the dual action formula first cleans the dirt and road film from the tyre, then goes on to penetrate the pores of the white rubber, releasing any ground in dirt or grime. Cleans evenly, removing stains and kerb gouge debris, leaving a bright white satin finish. Just spray, agitate and rinse

(USA) Antique white wall tyres – Wide White Whitewall Tire Cleaner (Coker Tires)

Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity and a small brush; works well on white sidewall tires or letters.
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

I just sanded down the white letters on my BFG T/As and they look fantastic. Used a medium grit 3M sanding sponge, like the kind painters use. Used it wet, and that made it work easier. Removed all traces of staining. Just be careful not to sand the black part of the tires.

Comment

I used to use SOS soap pads on white lettering when I had them. Worked great and the soap didn't hurt the wheels.

Comment

What about all porpuse cleaner? You can adjust the dilution ratios.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');