• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M82, M80, Swirl X Questions for 2008 Mustang GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M82, M80, Swirl X Questions for 2008 Mustang GT

I understood you point. Perhaps you misunderstood mine? I understand that there are both options to clean off old wax.
    I always do a Dawn wash on customer's cars before a polish job so as not to clog the pads more quickly with wax residue.
    I was simply trying to make the point that either way, Dawn or not, your pad shouldn't be allowed to become clogged up with any residue (frequent cleaning), because it will also deteriorate the pad's performance while using it. Yes, I choose not to use Dawn nor would I recommend it, but I do know that it is the other popular option as you have stated.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
      ...Dawn or not, your pad shouldn't be allowed to become clogged up with any residue (frequent cleaning)...
      Admitedly a poor choice of term looking back on it. Meant more "contamination" then "clogging" but I can remember a specific example of a instance a few months back. A customer brought me a car that he had "professionally detailed" the week before. Guy basically washed, clayed, and waxed the car....and of course the detailer had to be a Zaino aficionado.

So, of course, this guy laid the full 20 layers of Z-this and Z-that on the car. The surface was smooth to the touch and didn't need to be clayed as per post-wash examination. The owner didn't want a Dawn wash to remove wax as he had specifically "heard online it fades your paint." After one panel (and just before I was to clean it on the fly) I noticed a yellow caking or clumping along the edges of my pad that I have never seen before or since. Minor annoyance but I just used one pad per panel and that Vette finished up very nice. Don't know if that's a Zaino-only issue or a fresh wax-only issue but I just try to avoid it whenever possible since I have no backgrounds on some of the cars brought to me...

p.s....after working for three years at Steeda with Orlando, Steve, Bill, and Mike down here in South Florida I can appreciate the ride...

Comment

Understandable, obviously. All of that layering is too much, IMO. I mean, take your example, if that was what it was! Rediculous.

Worked at Steeda though with all the good guys.........lucky, lol!

Comment

Started the project today. Weather was nice,but I was sunburned from yesterday's March of Dimes outing so I only did half the hood.

I tried to not wash it, but ebony wax is a dark wax and could see it on the pad and did not think that was good.

Washed the hood with Palmolive (did not have any Dawn) worked well.

Hood did not need to be clay'd but I did anyways.

Started with UC. This stuff works! It is very aggressive in my opinion. In the wrong hands, with the DA, I think this could do some serious damage.

The test spot at that point was free of swirly's and spider web circle things, but had lost it's shine. I then went with the M80, which is a breeze to work with. I finished with m82 and it is perfect.

I then tried the same thing in another spot, but skipped the M80 and went straight for the M82. All in all, it took a few more passes, but I seemed to be able to cover more ground faster without the additional step of the M80.

To be honest, with the exception of the UC, you REALLY have to put some pressure on the pad to get any results. Not so much that you are bogging it down, but you do hear a good change in the motor's sound. I read the article about swirl removal and saw the 15-20lbs, but on a moving head, it is a little harder to gage.

It did put one thin coat of wax on the polished surface because it is suposed to rain. I used the tech wax I bought today. I seem to like it.

My wife said it looks stupid now because she has to drive to work tomorrow and the hood is night and day different on each side..lol.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');