• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polishing frequency ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polishing frequency ?

Hi,

I'd like to know how often one can polish a car--I truly mean using a polish with the rotary, like #82 before it's dangerous to break thru the clear coat of an OEM clear--I have in mind a Toyota Corolla. I think most OEM clears have 1.5-2.0 mils which is really not that thick at all! Perhaps I overestimate the #82 and such polishes. I've run it over the whole car many times using a finishing pad, and wonder how dangerous it is. Hope I cannot do any damage this way, although it'S supposed to be mild.

Let me know.

There is never an easy one size fits all answer to a question like this, but I would say #82 and a finishing pad should be taking little to nothing off the paint. I would do it as you feel necessary, you can look at it like this....Polish and keep polishing to keep the finish looking the way you like, and when the time comes you can always repaint it.

I dont think you are hurting anything but dont do it too often or at some point you will wear thru the clear.

Post some pix of that highly polished vehicle !

I always wanted to use that image
    If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

I'm not done polishing it yet, but will definately post a pic of it when done.promise !!

Comment

New here, but I do have a suggestion after using the clay kit today. When the surface gets a little dull and appears to need polishing, try claying one panel and rewaxing. You'll have a very smooth and clean surface to work with and your wax job shold look amazing.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');