• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White towels turned blue in wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White towels turned blue in wash

So, I've been scouring the earth to find some of the elusive Meguiar's Gold Class microfibers / terry towels / glass duo cleaning cloths. Kevin Brown hooked me up with some Megs microfibers (Thanks Kevin!) and I found a place in town that had some discontinued Gold Class items so I bought about 4 of the terry towels and 4 of the glass duo towels.

So, I come home from the store and wash the towels with a couple other microfibers (marine water magnet, ADS micros, etc.) When I pull the towels from the washer, the glass duo towels have changed to a light blue color. Actually, all of them are...and it's consistent on every towel. Didn't really bother me since it was easier to seperate them from the terry towels. The terry towels came out bright white, everything else looked fine...just the glass duo towels are light blue. I assumed since nothing else changed color, this was inherent to the product.

Now for the strange part. I grabbed a couple more towles last week when I went back to the store, come home and wash them. This time, both the terry towels and the glass duo towels come out white. Hmm.

Here is the question: Is there any way to get the light blue towels back to white? I'm sure at some point in life, someone else has had something similar happen to them. It's not a big problem, but I'm just curious.

Also, can anyone tell me why the terry towels in the first batch didn't come out blue? That really has me puzzled.

Thanks guys!
    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Re: White towels turned blue in wash

bleach

Comment

I use bleach every time I wash the terry towels.
      They always have some black on them.
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
        bleach
        Seriously? Wouldn't that damage the light blue satin edges?

Comment

My other option would be to run the white glass duo towels through the wash again with a couple blue micros and see if I can recreate the same situation. It's not a problem, I was just wondering why some white towels would turn blue and some others wouldn't in the same wash cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
            Here is the question: Is there any way to get the light blue towels back to white?
            Didn't look close enough to which towel he was talking about. I was referring to the Terry Cloth Towels.
            The Blue towels I would wash over and over a few times. If the color is all that is bothering you and not the performance of the towel, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Try just washing the towels that turned blue. There is a product available in most grocery stores that restores white to fabrics.

Ironically it is a anti blueing agent. I believe that the product is called anti blueing.

As for why the others did not turn, no clue.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');