• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing swirls with DA polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing swirls with DA polisher

Hey guys, new here!
    Great forum so far.

Well I have a jet black 2001 bmw 325ci that I want to remove some light swirls from. I can only see them in the direct sunlight but not in a garage unless I have a halogen light aimed at the car. I was wondering what products would do the best job of removing these. I will probably be using a g110 or a porter cable 7424. Also after polishing these swirls out how should I protect the finish. I wash my car once a week now and wax twice a month with the meguiars gold class wax.
    Thanks in advance!
    -Gatlan

Re: removing swirls with DA polisher

Welcome to MOL
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Galen, you've come to the right place! Meguiar's has several polishes for you to choose from. Check out this article: "The Skinny on Meguiar's D/A Polishes."

For light swirls consider M80, M250, or SwirlX. SwirlX is readily available at Walmart and local auto stores and is economically priced. It might be just the polish for you.

Keep up the good work on your car. It sounds like you are already taking great care of her.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Hey, by DA. Use the M105/205 Combo and then NXT wax

Or use the SwirlX and Ultimate Compound.
        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          The most important thing about getting good results when using a paint cleaner to remove swirls is to first, do a Test Spot

After you confirm you're getting good results in your test spot then continue around the car working only small sections at a time and be sure to overlap a little into the previous section for uniform coverage.

Use a clean, foam applicator pad like one of these to apply your products,

Look at the section on the hood below, this was another member's test spot, in this case you can see they taped off a square section to do the test spot but you don't actually have to use painter's tape and tape off a section, you just want to make your test spot section about this size.

Each panel, panel = a door, or a hood, or a roof, etc, needs to be broken up into small sections, about a foot square and then each of these small sections needs to be rubbed-out meticulously, evenly and thoroughly in order to leave a uniform, clear finish. Then move onto the next section and repeat the process while overlapping a little into the previously worked section for UMR.

UMR = Uniform Material Removal.

By doing this you can restore a smooth, clear finish perfect for either final polishing or application of a wax or paint sealant.

If a person cannot invest 2-3 hours to do the cleaning step all at one time then a person could just work a panel at a time, that is clean, polish and wax just the hood in one detailing session and as time permits pick up where you left off and continue working around the car until the entire finish has been restored.

Also check out this thread,

Which products need to dry before removing?

After cleaning and polishing the paint, apply the wax or paint sealant of your choice. Apply a very thin coat and let it fully dry. Use the Swipe Test to determine when the wax is ready to remove.

The Swipe Test

Do a test spot with your products.
          Matt

Comment

^^^^Thanks for the links there, some great information for me

about how much, in ounces, will i use of each, m105 and 205 to do my bmw coupe? an estimate is fine.

Also should I follow the 205 up with any sort of sealant before wax? I plan on keeping my routine weekly washing and biweekly waxing or monthly waxing. Also I should add that I only drive the car 160 miles per week 80 miles each way to school and it is covered at all times while parked, if that changes how I should do the sealant/wax process. The car basically only sees the sun when being driven on the 1.25 hour trip each way twice a week.

Thanks again for the quick help!

Comment

No need to change the process. NXT is actually a Polymer Sealant, not a Carnuba Wax.

Depending on how much you apply to your pads, You can go through about 4-6 ounces per car on average? This really doesn't matter though lol.
              Matt

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');