• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black plastic turned to grey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black plastic turned to grey?

Black WOW

autodetailingsolutions.com/black-wow.htm

Works Great!

[Edit: No clickable links until you've hit the 30 post benchmark. -Mike Phillips]

Forum Rules

9. Clickable Links are allowed after new members have over 30 substantial posts . Self-promoting clickable links are not allowed and will not be tolerated in messages. Self-promoting links are allowed in signature Lines once a member reaches Level 2 Privileges. Self-promoting statements or phone numbers are also not allowed in your posts.

Thanks for reading and following our forum rules!
    2004 Black FX4

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
      Pretty sure thats a F-150, and what I found to give the best look on our F-150 is Gold Class Trim Detailer. Make sure you really soak it in, let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then wipe off the excess.

Ryan
      Right on Ryan! It's from a f-150, and I'll give your product a try given your personal experience with it.

Thanks all!
      Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Honestly what I would do is clean the ever-living-heck out of the trim before I would even attempt to "dress it"

What I would do is take the original Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner cut down to 10 parts water and 1 part cleaner (10:1 on the bottle) and scrub the heck out of it. Make sure you go in a circular motion to get all of the crevices and cracks that rubberized trim can produce (try to stay off of the paint to prevent scratching and/or swirls). Then follow up with a good dressing. You'll be happy and your customer will be happy as well. Some good dressings are

Meg's Hyper Dressing (I would say 4:1 unless you want your trim "shiny")
        Black Wow then wipe off
        or Black Restore by Wizards (be sure to let it sit then wipe it off afterwards)

Have fun

-Dan

Comment

I'd clean it with isopropyl and dye it.
          If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

I've had good results with Black Restore by Wizards also. GC Trim Detailer works too but you've got to make sure you rub off any excess because the excess will make it look cloudy after it's been wet.
            2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
            2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

The plastic between the windshield and hood on my my Lancer looked the same way. I had really good luck with Meguiar's All Season Dressing. Its not going to look like it just rolled out of the showroom as the elements have had their way with it. It did darken the finish to a very nice looking ALMOST shiny dark grey. It has held up very well through 2 washings and rain so far. I figure every couple of washes I'll reapply. I just apply with some foam paint brushes I pick up at Walmart. Just spray it lightly on the foam brush and apply. I went and had a cigarette to let it "soak in", came back and wiped off the excess with a microfiber. Looks beautiful.

ADS has a 32oz sampler version of the dressing.

Comment

I like to use ASD

Comment

My three favourites are:

Hyper Dressing
                  M40
                  GC Trim Detailer

I agree with Dan's comments. As with waxing paint, preparation is half the battle. Clean the trim properly before applying the dressing.

I don't dispute Mike's comments about trim/plastic dressings being topical, but it seems that the trim darkens over time with regular application of a good dressing. Maybe it's a psychological effect

Comment

Meguiars have plenty dressing you could try..perhaps Endurance gloss work as well . pls share some photo once u restore the faded section

Comment

I have good results with All Season Dressing. I would give that a try.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

soooo... do you guys recommend vegetable oil for plastics?

My 2006 civic's air cowl above the hood is turning white... and not from wax residue. It stinks... It's only 3 years old!!!

Comment

I have a GMC Envoy that I detail once a year with the same trim problems... I have found it to be a problem with the trim and no matter what 'dressing' you apply its going to come back. Just have to keep a dressing applied at all times to give you a better look. or as mentioned above paint/dye is the next best thing.
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Is it possible to paint the trim black? I know you can dye it, but it seems like dying the plastic would be a difficult task, especially when trying to get it even across all your trim.

I need to get some ASD in my next order. All I've got right now is some APC and Hyper Dressing (which doesn't work very well on trim, at least for me)
                            NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

GC Trim Detailer is great, may take more than 1-2 applications to get it down. Our Yukon has plastic tops on the bumpers and after a few applications it seems to be holding it's own between washing and applying. I apply usually at least every other wash or your back to square one. I used All Season Dressing and it didn't seem to hold up as well, BUT ASD works great on the Neon....Go figure.
                              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I used some Black Magic tire wet gel (it was a freebie collecting dust on my shelf) today with a foam brush to apply to my trim, worked VERY well. Don't know how durable it will be, but can't be much worse than other products I've tried. I'd say something like High Endurance tire gel would work awesome as well.

Anyone else tried applying the product with a small foam brush? Can be found in art stores for about $1 or less.
                                NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');