• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint hardness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint hardness?

I think there is a post somewhere about this but I can't find it now. Does anyone have a general rule of thumb on how hard or soft the clear coat is on different car manufacturers. I know I should evaluate each car on an individual basis, but it helps to have an idea before I dive in so I don't start way too aggressive or not nearly aggressive enough. For example I have noticed that Honda and Toyota paint is usually pretty soft, so I know I probably won't need to break out the wool pads. I do a Infiniti G35 pretty regularly that a hammer is almost to soft to hurt that clear coat . So is there a general rule of thumb i.e. paint on these cars is usually soft and hard on these others? Or do you just evaluate every car on a individual basis.

Thanks
    Dr. Detail: I am the detail genius from the movie "Shine."
    Guard: And your name is...?
    Dr. Detail: Uhh... Shiney McShine.

Re: Paint hardness?

There really isn't a guide to which paints are hard or soft.

Why?

Paints vary in hardness by color, model, and year.

For example, I regularly detail an '03 Expedition in red and an '04 Expedition in black. The red is pretty soft, but the black is hard as nails. I also detail a number of Sables, each with a different color and each very different in hardness.

So, there is no way to gauge the paint hardness without polishing every model in every color of a single year.

Nissan and Mercedes Benz have started to use Ceramic paints that are incredibly hard. But, I polished an '04 SLK 320 that wasn't that hard and a '05 Nissan Murano that was fairly soft. So again, there really is no way to tell the hardness without actually trying to correct the paint.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
      There really isn't a guide to which paints are hard or soft.

Why?

Paints vary in hardness by color, model, and year.

For example, I regularly detail an '03 Expedition in red and an '04 Expedition in black. The red is pretty soft, but the black is hard as nails. I also detail a number of Sables, each with a different color and each very different in hardness.

So, there is no way to gauge the paint hardness without polishing every model in every color of a single year.

Nissan and Mercedes Benz have started to use Ceramic paints that are incredibly hard. But, I polished an '04 SLK 320 that wasn't that hard and a '05 Nissan Murano that was fairly soft. So again, there really is no way to tell the hardness without actually trying to correct the paint.
      You cant really say till you start working on the paint.
      SYDSTER

Comment

Is there a different way to care for the paint, if it has the ceramic in it?

Comment

Not yet familiar with Ceramic paint maybe Chris has something to say about this.
          SYDSTER

Comment

Ceramic clear coats are commonly found on newer Mercedes and I believe a few other high-end German cars. I have spoken to Mike Phillips personally about them and he was confident normal Meguiar's compounds, polishes, and pads will do the trick just fine.

I have used both "German" polishes and Meg's stuff on those clear coats with great results. Meg's is a LOT cheaper...I suggest going with their stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');