• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self-Service Car Washes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Self-Service Car Washes

I use these all the time. Never use the brush. Precondition, high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, spot free rinse. I have never noticed it being hard to dry or stripping the wax.

I agree with the go early method. I normally dry it right in the stall, UQD when I get home for any runs that might have occured on the return trip.

Comment

Man, I thought we were short on water here in the desert (AZ), but we've never had any kind of water restriction or anything like that (at least not that I can remember). They'll throw out "recommendations" on the news, such as when to water your plants and how much, and ways to save water, but they never actually restrict water usage at all.

As for the limits you mentioned of only being able wash on Sat & Sun, yet allowing you to use a self-service wash any day of the week - that seems kinda strange. Wouldn't an at-home wash job, where you're using a bucket of soap & water to do that actual washing, use less water than a self-service wash where most people are basically spraying water non-stop as they wash it?

Comment

Originally posted by jleonard711 View Post
        Man, I thought we were short on water here in the desert (AZ), but we've never had any kind of water restriction or anything like that (at least not that I can remember). They'll throw out "recommendations" on the news, such as when to water your plants and how much, and ways to save water, but they never actually restrict water usage at all.

As for the limits you mentioned of only being able wash on Sat & Sun, yet allowing you to use a self-service wash any day of the week - that seems kinda strange. Wouldn't an at-home wash job, where you're using a bucket of soap & water to do that actual washing, use less water than a self-service wash where most people are basically spraying water non-stop as they wash it?
        I have the same problem here in Cyprus...We have water to use it ONLY 3 DAYS A WEEK and sure not for washing the car...
        All the car wash are using their own water.they dig the earth to find water and they use it....for that water nobody can say anything..
        The problem is that this water is very hard and very dirty... when i tried on the past to wash my car there,the paint was hard on touch,and white water spots were under my hood that the water dries...So after every wash i used to 'clean' my car with Autoglym super resin polish...it was the only quality product that i could find on local market... this thing was repeated weekly about a year long until i learned how to safely wash/polish/maintenance my car.....
        And something about ONR wash..it is good on such conditions but the car has not to be very very dirty...It is something like a QD for me, but safer because of the large amount amount of dust and the soft CC of my car.BTW nothing can be compared with a good normal wash....
        I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

To quote bradipock

"I use these all the time. Never use the brush. Precondition, high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, spot free rinse. I have never noticed it being hard to dry or stripping the wax."

I do the same thing except I tend to hit the highway and air dry

Before anyone yells at me I also wipe it down with a water magnet then which ever Megs product it is due for,UQD, NXt 2.0, ect. The key I believe is having the great finish to start with. I tend to wash/wax/UQD ever week or so. Its never gets that dirty.
          Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

There is also a product that is a cordless 18v pressure washer with either a 3 or 5 gallon capacity( I believe it is a Nomad). It is perfect for water restriction or apartment dwellers. It is on the expensive side (approx $200)but perfect for detailers who need a small, compact unit for detailing. Otherwise, a no wash solution or Quick detailer is all I use during these times. I will use a coin op during the offseason to eliminate a buildup of road salt, etc. (I just know that a full detail will be waiting for me when the weather breaks)

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
              Sorry for the question, but I have to ask since we don't have water restriction. What are the rules?
              Weve never had one where I live but usually they will set-up certain times when you can wash your car, water plants, etc.

If someone saw you outside washing your car with ONR on a day you should not be washing the car they would automatically think you are using a water house and call the cops(or who ever they call).
              Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Originally posted by jleonard711 View Post
                It would, in theory... but since self-service car washes are businesses, they allow them to operate during the week. Anything done at home is restricted for the weekend. Actually, they should just say "limit your water consumption to washing your car once a week." There's no way to monitor such use either way.

I did however use one every week at college with the brush and all, and I must say I had some pretty nasty swirls at the end of the year.
                1998 Supermarine Blue Pearl Honda CR-V

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepster04 View Post
                  If someone saw you outside washing your car with ONR on a day you should not be washing the car they would automatically think you are using a water house and call the cops(or who ever they call).

Comment

haha, didnt mean to say 'water house.' Should of been hose.

Tree huggers are annoying.
                    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Down here in my neck of the woods, here are the restrictions. You can only water your yard twice a week. Your hose has to have a spray head on it. If you have a sprinkler system no zone can be on for more then 25 minutes. You can wash your car on your watering days. The commercial washes stay open because the are suppose to recycle there water. After a while its a piece of cake to follow.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                        Credit card ones are nice!

Go there early in the morning or late at night when there are no people and hand wash it.
                        That was my SOP!
                        K3AKE 147.555

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');