• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makeover tips and advice for a beginner wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Makeover tips and advice for a beginner wanted!

Originally posted by Derrick View Post
    you should print out the prices ay autodetailingsolustions.com and see if they will match those. If i remember right they are a little cheaper than ordering straight from megs. Also i noticed that you have Nu Finish Polish, is that the once a year car polish that they sell? If so how is that? i am always sceptical to buy prducts that make outragouse claims like that i am just curious to how it purforms as a polish. They also said it offers protection so what is it? Does it work more like a polish or wax? Ok well just curious to hear about what you think
    Well, I am by no means an expert on detailing products but I was very impressed by it. It's the "Once a year car polish" in the big orange bottle. I used it on my very faded red 92 GTI and it worked wonders, albeit with some assistance from Mother's ClayBar. The pics ****, but here's a couple of before and after:

The clay bar treatment really brought the colour back, but the Nu Finish really made the colour pop. It's nowhere near perfect, but now it is very presentable and has a pretty nice shine all around with the exception of the drivers door (which I used as a test bed for something else, it will be changed). I think it's a good product, and that's why I left it in there in my list rather than getting something I haven't used yet......
    SS

Comment

Can you guys please give me a little more in depth explanation on the PlastX? I bought some, started to do the detailing on the car today.
      I washed it very nicely, cleaned everything up as best as I could. It still has some **** stuck to the paint below the beltline mouldings, I just couldnt get it off. Some of it came off with the cleaner wax and very very hard scrubbing. Not sure what it is, could be very caked on mud or maybe sap but it looks like it had splashed on at some point from the front wheels.
      Anyway, after washing it I went to town with the claybar and it did an alright job. After that I used the carnuba cleaner and that helped a lot more. I finished the whole car up to that point, and started on the hood with the Nu Finish polish. That made a little difference as well, but I am nowhere near done and will finish the polish tomorrow followed by the TechWax 2.0. I now see a lot more scratches and swirls in the paint, I managed to remove a lot of build up and oxidization which seems to bring out the imperfections. I am assuming the scratches and swirls are mostly from those drive through car washes...... There are a few deeper scratches and chips and those will have to be touched up, hopefully they can somewhat blend in.

Back to the ScratchX though, any and all tips would be appreciated. I wish I had a good camera on hand to update you folks with pictures! It really looks a lot better than when I started with it.
      SS

Comment

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
        SS

Comment

Well PlastX is pretty easy to use. Most of the time i will just use a microfiber rag for the application but i can see your headlights need some help so you might need to go with a terry cloth. If you have a machine like a DA or Rotary i would go with one of those. Well I'm not sure if its recommended with a rotary but that is still how i apply it and get amazing results and fast. If you will be doing it by hand than you can think of it kind of like scratchX. Use it on about half of the headlight to break it down into 2 smaller sections or you can go even smaller than that if you wish. Then using a terry for a little extra bite you want to use a little pressure ( about 10 lbs ) and work the product back and forth. For more sever cases you will want to work it alot like ScratchX really working it alot and sometimes multiple applications. It can also be compared to paint correction because some headlights are just more polishable than others. While one really bad case you may be able to get it back with one application and no problems while another set of headlights may be even less oxidized than the other ones but they will take about 3 applications. It just depends on how bad they are and how polishable they are. hopefully this helps and if you got any more ? just ask away
          ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
          Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
          210-281-8151

Comment

It's been a while since I updated, so here is a link to the most recent pics of the car.
            General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Comment

looks great
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

as far as the black moldings go, look at a product called black wow, they sell it at ADS, it make those black moldings look like new, an amazing product, and a little goes a long way
                Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

does black wow work as good as the youtube video? I would like to have something to protect all my black plastic trim
                  2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
                  2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
                    as far as the black moldings go, look at a product called black wow, they sell it at ADS, it make those black moldings look like new, an amazing product, and a little goes a long way
                    I wound up painting all of the mouldings and trim with satin black trim paint. It looks great.
                    SS

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');