• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT Spray Wax as an As-You-Dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT Spray Wax as an As-You-Dry

So, I needed to wash the Nissan as it had been about a month. It had two "coats" of Z2/ZFX on top of NXT Tech Wax put on about 6 weeks ago. The car actually still seemed to bead a bit in the rain, impressive given that it was fairly dirty. Anyway, I thought this would be a great chance to try Spray Wax on a wet car.

When sprayed on, the wax is not unlike EO's Wax-As-U-Dry. It dissipated the water where you spray it, and it makes it very easy to dry completely. However, NXT Spray Wax wasn't as smooth to wipe across the surface. You could see it leaving a bit of a haze in some places, not really leaving it others (due to how wet/dry the panel was, and how much was sprayed on). So it was clear I'd have to buff the car after drying. The panels that were very dry from sheeting, like the sides, made me remember how difficult Spray Wax can be to spread. It was much harder to spread it evenly on those panels than on the very wet ones. Keeping the towel fairly wet (not wringing it much) helps a bit.

All in all, it was easy to apply, and probably takes less time than just drying the car by itself since it helps dry it.

Buffing the car off was kind of annoying. Maybe I didn't wait long enough, but in many places there wasn't even a visible haze to swipe to check for dryness. The towel didn't move very easily over most areas, though they felt smooth to the touch. Areas where there is some water in the cracks were really hard to buff. The water seemed to smear any hazing around a lot. All in all it wasn't that much effort, and didn't take more time than buffing off any product, but it wasn't all that enjoyable.

The end result wasn't really a wower either. The last time I used Spray Wax dry, the car looked just-NXT'd. In this case the car does look nice and shiny, but not just-NXT'd. It would have looked fairly nice and shiny just because it was dirty so long. I think it probably looks better than it would have, though.

I wonder if part of that is that when using it wet, you can see all this oily film when you spray the product. Since oil floats, I wonder if it all gets soaked up in the drying towel, thus not glossening up the paint. When I'd wring the towel out, there would be rainbows on the driveway from the water out of the towel.

All in all though, it was a decent experience. I think I will use up my Spray Wax in this manner just because using it dry is as much effort as just waxing the car again. For a use-on-a-wet-car, though, EO's product is a lot easier to use, and requires no separate buffing step. It leaves a very shiny surface, not quite the same look as NXT, but still very nice.
    Last edited by Aurora40; Aug 15, 2004, 04:46 PM.
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Thank your for your review and experince Auroa40.

I'm always looking for feedback with this product when it's used on a wet car.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');