• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do i need?

new to the forum, but i just bought a PC7336SP from Lowe's for $109 today.

where is the best place to get pads? the few places that i called local to me only had the 8" pads. i'm actually looking for the Meguiar's backing plate and pad kit.

i've used the 3 step (Deep Crystal) year ago on my 95 Jetta VR6 back when it was new, and got compliments from a Vette owner at work
    it even won at a local VW show. sold it to buy a 96 LR DIscovery.
    so really no need for detailing.

crappy picture that i actually had to scan:

(fast forward 8 years to today)
    well i still have the Discovery, but also have a 96 Range Rover (bought last year) and the newest is a '04 WRX Wagon and have found my way back to Meguiar's

the WRX is in great shape (only a few months old) and just got treated to some clay and 2 coats of NXT. the color is absolutely beautiful
    here's the only clean pic i have of it. unfortunately it's before the NXT.

next is the Range Rover (which is going to be a makeover entry). it looked pretty good when we got it last year, but i only have a 1 car garage. now i have to get the swirls/water marks/scratches out and bring it back to life. waxed 3-4 times a year (was using Zymol)
    this is a pic from after cleaning it last year when we bought it:

last up is the challenge. the Discovery has never been garaged (won't fit) and lived life as an off-roader waxed maybe once a year. TONS of scratches, oxidation, etching, etc.

i'll be starting on the Discovery. i have #5, #7 (got the #5 from my in-laws garage ), clay, NXT and #83. also have the MF towels and such.

what else do you think i need? i'm thinking #82 and a buffing pad kit, but don't know what else.

i'm going to start on the Discovery, because even if i screw up, it'll still look better than before

thanks,
    Don
    Last edited by Quack; Aug 12, 2004, 04:25 AM.

Hi Don,

I just wanted to tell you I've read your post and I'll be back with some recommendations after a little break from the computer. I started on this think at 7:00am this morning and it's now 9:16pm.

Lot's of things going on behind the scenes no one ever sees.

By the way, when I see this picture, something inside of me just cringes!

Hang tight...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just to chime in here....Meguiars has a pad kit with (2) W-8006 (Polishing pads), & (1) W-9006 (Finishing pad) for about $25.00...If it were me, I would buy 2 of these kits, plus the velcro backing plate.

Pick up a bottle (Or order it with the pads) of #81 Hand Polish...This will add superior depth & gloss to the finish, after you have done the prep work....Just my opinion on the matter.

Mike will fill you in on the proper order of things to do.
      Last edited by rusty bumper; Aug 12, 2004, 12:18 AM.
      r. b.

Comment

mike,
        it's doesn't alway look like that, but as you can tell, it's on the duller side. when i do wash and wax it, it's looks pretty good from a distance. i just though that it would be best to use it as that test bed for using the PC.

Rusty Bumper,
        i am planning to get the kit with the backing pad, and one w/o the backing, i think that i may need the maroon ome for the green truck.

here's a pic from when i had it for about a year, and before it became the off roader (~1998):

(from around 2000) which is kinda what it looks like when i clean it.

BTW, not looking for a show finish on the Disco.
        Last edited by Quack; Aug 12, 2004, 04:28 AM.

Comment

How far are you from Pittsburg, Pa? If your not far from it and if you have a small budget try this website.Detailking Of course there not like Meguiar's but since I live near Pittsburg and I do have a small budget to work with that's why I deal with Detail king. Don't get me wrong I will alway's use Meguiar's product's like thier NXT, QD, #2, #9 and the 3 step product's. My loyalty is with Meguiar's, but my wallet right now is with Detail king.
          Last edited by JG_Detailing; Aug 12, 2004, 01:44 PM.

Comment

a little bored, so i went to play with my PC (stock white pad)

it seems that the hood is the worst area on this truck, with this side being the worst side.
            here's a before shot of 1 side of the hood.
            (note: the center of the hood is painted flat black to reduce glare. the wax residue is from when i last waxed it.)

so i only have #83 at the moment to do the work, so i wanted to see what 1 pass would do with the cheap pad:

and here's where i taped off the hood to see the difference.

i have pads on order, and can get the Professional line products locally.
            Last edited by Quack; Aug 13, 2004, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');