• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Detailing

I have been avoiding detailing my engine due to lack of knowledge. It is getting sort of dirty under the hood (nothing too serious) and I would like the engine to look just as nice as the outside. On my old 1989 Volvo 240DL Station Wagon, my dad and I sprayed Simple Green everywhere under the hood, let set for a couple minutes, then sprayed off with his pressure washer. I didnt really mind at the time cuz it was only the Volvo. But with my Prelude, I am taking extreme precaution on everything I do.

So what steps do yall take on detailing your engine? What products work best to bring back natural shine and color to parts and hoses?

I have NXT Tech Protectant and I am just wondering if this would have good results after it was cleaned.

HELP! =P

-Ryan

Hi Ryan,

There are a couple of Professional Detailers that hang out here on our forum including DETLMAN, one of our Moderators that have years of experience detailing engines, I'm sure they will chime in and give you some pointers.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I just detailed my MR2 engine and this was the process. I used Orange Blast, followed by CD2 Engine Detailer, followed NXT Tech Protectant to all the vinyl and hoses.

The engine should be moderately warm but not hot before starting. Cover all the sensitive electrical components including the alternator with plastic bags. Also stick a rag in the air intake.

Apply the Orange Blast, or other similar cleaner, and wait for about 5 minutes then rinse. I would not use a pressure washer for rinsing. Inspect and reapply if some areas didn't come clean. You may need to use a fine brush for stubborn grime.

Dry thoroughly with toweling and let it sit for about 20 minutes after cleaning. When dry, spray with Engine Detailer and let it set for another few minutes then remove the bags and air intake rag. Take a 20 minute drive to completely dry things and harden the detailer.

Now apply NXT Tech Protectant to all vinyl and hoses.

Here is the result:

Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

jfelbab

Looks great... Engine detailer? You are not talking about Engine Kote? If not what is engine detailer and where can you get it?
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Sadly I wasn't able to get Engine Kote so I bought some CD2 Engine Detailer at the local Kmart.

I'm also out of APC+ so I guess I need to get another order going. I've been waiting to see how the new reformulated products are being reviewed. Looks like they are going to be just great.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

CD-2 Engine detailer, you can get it at AutoZone, like 4 bucks for it and it works very well.

Comment

Quote:

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

I’m not DELTMAN, nor a professional detailer so take this for what it’s worth:

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage as it reduces the surface tension of the fibre. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil.

·Remove any excess debris; leaves and etc form the hood, grille or air-vent openings.
              ·Spray all electrical connectors with WD40, which repels water.
              ·Use cling-film, Saran wrap elastic covers, or aluminium foil to cover any sensors, electrical black boxes, electrical devises that could cause an electrical short-circuits if subjected to water spray.
              ·This will not guarantee that you wont cause a problem when cleaning an engine bay but it will greatly reduce the risks.
              ·Start and run the engine to get it warm, not hot, this will enable the de-greaser to work more efficiently on a warm surface.
              .Apply an engine de-greaser (Engine Cleaner) by lightly spraying the lower parts of the engine first and then working upwards.
              ·Do not allow the de-greaser to dry or remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water and dry with a cloth.
              ·For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a diluted general purpose cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)
              ·When the grease and grime is dissolved and you're ready to remove it, spray with a light pressure water hose.
              ·Allow the engine compartment to air dry and then thoroughly wipe down all accessible surfaces and then remove cling-film or aluminium foil.
              ·When everything is dry apply a vinyl/rubber protectant to hoses, shields and wires, and spray engine parts with Engine Coat
              ·Wipe off any excess with a clean cloth and apply a wax/sealant protection to painted surfaces.

Simple Green has a high alkaline content so be aware it may discolour / weaken aluminimu parts

~ Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
              justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Just an added note to be very careful if you use aluminum foil to cover electrical items. Some of these items may have 12 V on the terminals and you may cause a short if the aluminum comes in contact with the hot terminal and the auto ground. I'd not recommend aluminum for this reason. Plastic works as well and does not conduct electricity.
                Jim
                My Gallery

Comment

Good point jfelbab, I'll remove it from the procedure

Thanks
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

I might add here for drying an engine I like using a shop vac that you can reverse for a high speed blower since there tends to be so many tiny little crevices in most engine compartments. First I'll vaccum up whatever I can (make sure you have a wet/dry shop vac... very important) then switch to the blower setting and blow the rest of it dry. This at least eliminates any potential water spotting, just be careful around anything that would be sensative to high speed air.
                    Later,
                    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                    Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Don't forget to wax the painted surfaces under the hood too! Meg's Cleaner Wax would probably work well.

Once you get it clean, a quick wipe down with a damp terry towel every few weeks should help keep it looking nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');