• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tar removal (bad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tar removal (bad)

I have multipul tar spots on my jeep and they are really deep. I think that they may have infused with the paint. I literally spent 30 mins with bug and tar trying to get the off Clay bar:nothing scratch x:nothing and my always trusty last resort gasoline:nothing.

I'm frustrated because these spots are right on the hood and really will not come off with chemicals.

So I figure you guys will have to have soming for me right. I have a tar spot that is in a inconspicious spot so I will try anything including wet sanding. TIA.

Re: Tar removal (bad)

Originally posted by jobieone
    I have multipul tar spots on my jeep and they are really deep. I think that they may have infused with the paint. I literally spent 30 mins with bug and tar trying to get the off Clay bar:nothing scratch x:nothing and my always trusty last resort gasoline:nothing.

I'm frustrated because these spots are right on the hood and really will not come off with chemicals.

So I figure you guys will have to have soming for me right. I have a tar spot that is in a inconspicious spot so I will try anything including wet sanding. TIA.

i had the same problem you did, only mine were on my drivers side door. I ordered bug and tar remover for that specific reason, but it didnt work, so i just ended up scraping it off with my fingernail after letting but and tar remover sit on for a while...and afterwords i had alot of residue and i jused body scrub to remove it, but it sounds like your cituation is worse than mine....good luck!
    2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Comment

I would try an adhesive remover. I don't know if Meguiar's makes one, but 3M does.
      I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
      Take the Car Crazy Test

Comment

I will try these when it stops raining but I think I may need something stronger Because I have gotten it to the point where it looks like its even with the paint. The clay bar barly gets caught.

Comment

Could it be tree sap, since you mentioned that it was on your hood. Try some rubbing alcohol on it. Just rubb very lightly since it can scratch the paint very easily. If it is road tar and the heat from being on the hood has baked it on the paint. Go to your local auto body supply store and get some wax and tar remover. that should work pretty good.

Hope this helps,
          Chubs

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');