• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying #16 w/polishing pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying #16 w/polishing pad

I've always used a finishing pad to apply #16. One of the things I didn't like was how much wax was absorbed by the pad, affecting how well the #16 speads.

Today I tried a LC white 'polishing' pad to apply a coat of #16 to the car. All I can say is WOW!!!. The "spread forever" characteristics of the #16 that I love so well is back with a vengence. I use more butter on two pieces of toast than it took to put a medium thickness coat of #16 over the entire car!

I let the #16 sit for about 2 hours while I took care of a few "honey-do's" When I got to removing the dried wax, I found that while it was more difficult than a very thin coat, but I noticed that if I just went after small 'bites' then buffed the whole panel after the "big stuff" was gone, the finish was perfectly glossy, smooth and smear-free.

I think that while an extremely thin coat of #16 is easier to remove, a slightly thicker coat gives better protection. Too, the polishing pad is definately the way to go for application.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Hey,

Firstly, I would prefer to use the least aggressive pad to apply any Last Step Product. As such, I would use a W-9006 Finishing Pad. The more aggressive of pad, the more the chance of instilling micro-marring. Now, while the W-8006 pad is not that aggressive, and is an excellent, all-around pad, I would still use the least aggressive pad I could find. Just IMHO!

Secondly, whether thick or thin, you should get the same protection from a product. When the residue is wiped off, only a certain amount will remain behind. As such, IMHO, a thicker coat just wastes product.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but the total amount of wax I used from the can wouldn't quite have filled 2 of those little coffee creamers that you get at the convenience store coffee machines. I guess what I mean is a thick coat as opposed to trying to put a carnuaba on as thin as a sealant. When the coat dried, it wasn't white and chalky like a carnuaba gets when it's applied too thick, it was still clear when fully dried.

As for the polishing pad, even Mike P uses one to apply NXT, and since the #16 is a "heavy" wax (again per Mike P...I'll check for his post on this...it wasn't too long ago) I feel that it has more than enough lubricating qualities while it's being applied to offset any risk of micro-marring from a slightly more aggressive pad.
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Hey Don,

Actually, Mike uses a W-9006 Finishing Pad to apply the NXT Tech Wax. In the beginning he used a W-8006 pad with NXT, but now uses the W-9006. If a car has a few light swirls remaining or is not in excellent condition, then a W-8006 pad may be a good idea.

But, the W-9006 does absorb more product than a W-8006, at least until it becomes somewhat saturated.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');