• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moonscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonscape

Black 2001 Monte Carlo
    Daily driver
    Lives outdoors 24/7 here in northern West Virginia

Went through the Deep Crystal 3-step process with mediocre results.

Looking closely at the paint surface with a magnifying glass(especially the hood, roof, and deck lid) one would be reminded of the moon's surface. It's pretty obvious that the elements have etched the paint. Without a magnifying glass the appearance is akin to widespread waterspotting, but these defects are actually IN the paint.

Reading on this forum and Autopia gave me ideas to try. Went to the rear spoiler which is the most level surface on the machine and worst afflicted and went at a small section using Scratch X with encouraging results. Next used Deep Crystal polish by hand with additional modest improvement. It's obvious now what I have to do to change the landscape, but what products will be best to apply to get rid of most of the craters? Then what product should be applied to help the paint ward off future recurrences?

Hi SilverSurfer,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I have very good luck using ScratchX but it does take some technique and effort to make the product perform as intended.

I find many people are wiping the product on and then wiping it off expecting miracle results. It's not that kind of product. You must work the product into the finish, and then often times repeat the procedure.

I wrote a how-to article that you might want to check out here,

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

I also just responded to another question which my answer would seem to apply to your situation also.

What you can and cannot do is going to be determined by the hardness of your paint. As others have pointed out, the easy cure would be to re-buff using either a PC or a Rotary to remove the defects and restore gloss, clarity and smoothness.

If that is not an option, then try the ScratchX using the procedures outlined in my how-to article. Remember, only work a small section at a time, like 6 to 10 inches and when moving to another section, overlap into the previous section.

I would try this, apply the ScratchX to one small section on a flat panel such as the hood. Then apply the polish, like Deep Crystal Polish, then apply the Tech Wax. Then, inspect your results. If it looks good, continue to repeat this to the rest of the finish. If it doesn't work, then were back to a machine process.

Check out the pictures I just posted here,

Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Swirl Removal

Note two things,

1) This car had a lot of swirls and because of this a very hazy finish

2) All products, including ScratchX were applied by hand.
    Restoring a smooth surface in necessary to restore gloss, clarity and reflectivity. In order to restore a finish in the condition you have described will mean gently abrading the finish to some degree in order to smooth-out or flatten the top surface. Simply put, you must remove some paint. The easiest and fastest way to do this would be with the PC/W-8006/#83 DACP combination.

Hope this helps...

Mike

p.s.

The Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is a chemical paint cleaner only and will in and of itself will not be aggressive enough to accomplish your goal.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

OK. Thanks for responding. My guess is that it's going to take me a long time to do this job and do it right, but I must be on the right track.

Now what can you tell me about the wisdom of glazes and sealers to be used after the surface is as smooth as practical using ScratchX?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');