• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Fiber Hood - How to work on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: URGENT HELP!!! - Carbon Fiber Hood

Hey i have a hood like that link you posted and i tried what that guy did except i didn't use the cutting pad, do you think that the cutting pad will help it out more.

Comment

Re: Carbon Fiber Hood - How to work on?

What would you suggest for my hood (see attached pic). I don't really have a swirling problem but rather a hazing issue. In no particular order I've tried Meguiar's paint cleaner, body scrub, cleaner wax and swirl remover, none seemed to do anything in way of removing the haze.

Comment

Im having that same hazing issue still.
        2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
        2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
        1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Comment

Originally posted by mike27 View Post
          What would you suggest for my hood (see attached pic). I don't really have a swirling problem but rather a hazing issue. In no particular order I've tried Meguiar's paint cleaner, body scrub, cleaner wax and swirl remover, none seemed to do anything in way of removing the haze.
          That haze looks like clear coat failure and if it is then nothing will fix it by any company except to sand and repaint and this is probably work and cost prohibitive.

Do you know, or can you find out if your Carbon Fiber Hood came with a clear coat finish, or did is it straight resin with no automotive clear coat applied?

Contact the manufacture and find out. Then you can troubleshoot and avoid wasting any time.

If it does have a clear coat and this is clear coat failure, how has the hood been taken care of since it was purchased and installed?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Clear coat failure is "throughout" the film-build. It cannot be fixed.

Oxidation is topical, that is it is deterioration taking place on the surface and a paint cleaner or a cleaner/polish or a cleaner/wax will remove it and expose a fresh base that should be clear.

Find out what you're working on.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

The manufacture of my hood says that it is several coats of clear with the outer most layer having a UV coating. This hood is almost three years old now and I generally take good care of the whole car.

Comment

Originally posted by mike27 View Post
                The manufacture of my hood says that it is several coats of clear with the outer most layer having a UV coating. This hood is almost three years old now and I generally take good care of the whole car.

Well that haze looks just like clear coat failure, the clear coat is turning white and hazy and the next step in the progression is usually to start flaking, or chipping off. It will look like your hood has a bad rash.

Like this,

Beginning stage of the above...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

***Bump***

Someone e-mailed looking for how to restore Carbon Fiber
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444