• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing corvettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing corvettes

Hey all, a friend of mine has a 87 vette that he won the local car shows with last year and would like me to detail it this year before he shows it this weekend and I was wondering if their was any difference between painted fibreglass and painted metal for the cars body?

Do you have to be more careful with the fibreglass? ect.....

He says it is a little dusty from sitting in the garage over winter but he says the paint work is still in great original condition and is smooth to the touch.

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Trev

Re: Detailing corvettes

the only differences I can think of, could be the following:

metal takes more time to heat up, while fiberglass heats up faster so if you're gonna use a rotary just make sure you're not building up too much heat on those areas.

also, there could be a little possibility that the painted fiberglass parts were done with rubberized paint. I once saw it in a thread but I don't remember which one was. But I don't think there's a difference between buffing those paints.

I'd follow the first suggestion, but maybe there'll be someone a little bit more specialized in these kinds of situations who can help out soon

Hope this helps
    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Re: Detailing corvettes

As said, it seems like heat doesn't dissipate like with metal panels. But it doesn't sound like the car needs any heavy-duty work. You can dual-action and hand polish a Corvette just like any other car.

Be careful of the beltline trim, though. It's easy to tape off, and don't forget a nice application of #38 or something similar to really make it pop.
      1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
      2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
      1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');