• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about claybar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always cut my clay in half before I start, and keep the other half in the plastic. That way if you were to drop your clay, you wouldn't have to jump in your "half-clayed" car to go to Autozone and buy another $12 clay kit, rewash the entire car, ect. You just use the other half...
    Troy - TSR6

Comment

Thanks guy.

also, does the smooth surfac clay kit come with everything i need to clay? It looks like it has quick detailer which i assume you need?
      2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

I am not sure if one towel is quite enough, but yes, all you need is Quick Detailer and Clay.

There is a decent How-To article over at bettercarcare.com on how to clay. I think there is a link right on the front-page. You can give that a read also.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Do you guys typically put the clay in a plastic baggy when your done with it and everything?
          2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

When I get a new clay bar ( I buy the Meguiar's blue detailing clay), the first thing I do is cut it into eighths and then put it back in the container.

I store the used clay that still has some cleaning ability left to it in an empty clay conntainer. Depending on how contaminated the paintwork of the car is, I can get an average of two vehicles out of an 1/8th piece of clay.
            Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
            Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

Re: question about claybar

Okay, I just bought the smooth claybar kit from meguiars. I have heard many people say that dawn dish soap needs to be used to remove the old wax, is this a good step? Also, this will be my first time claying, and I am also worried about screwing up the paint...is there any possible chance of that occuring if the lube that came with the kit is used in good amounts?

Comment

Use plenty of lubricant, and knead the clay to get a clean side when it is dirty, and you'll be ok. Dont be afraid to use 2/3 of the bottle or more, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

As far as Dawn, no... dont do it.. not needed.. or wanted. The clay and your cleaner step will remove old wax. And if there is some super wax that survives both of those steps (not that there is any way to tell), then leave it, its doing a good job.

Just remember, dont drop the clay bar on the ground. If your paint is in good shape, I might even cut the 2 pieces in half, so I get 4, in case one is dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  Yes, some people try claying without the lube and with only the clay.

Are society is turning into a society of people that don't read. They watch TV and look at pictures on the Internet. Reading requires thinking is my guess?
                  I believe the late, great Bill Hicks had a routine about society's unwillingness to read lol!
                  It's Zetec, not VTEC...

Comment

Claying is a useful, beneficial step in prepping your finsh to obtain the best possible finish. To achieve the results we are all after.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

How long actually is a life span for a clay bar? Can i use it up to 5 vehicle or less? Because the clay bar smooth surface kit at my country is a bit pricey than it should be..its like times 3 or 4 on the US marketing.

Comment

If the cars are pretty clean, and you dont drop it, using the clay 5 times or more would certainly be possible.

I cut mine down into smaller pieces in case of dropping.

I just store it in a zip lock bag with a squirt of QD.

Comment

With the meguiar's clay bar kit it's a little easier to tell since the clay is white. When it starts looking grey it's time to replace. Another thing I like about the clay bar kit is the little container it comes with. I usually just store it in that.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Another thing I'd add is...since this thread is really old.....like 2006.....

Amvalai....have you looked into the new clay towels/clay mitts/ autoscrubs and clay sponges?
                            I think regular clay has it's uses but once I tried the towels/mitts...I cannot see myself really using anything else.
                            Yea...the costs are high on these new products but well worth it.
                            "STRIFE" aka Phil
                            2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                            2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                            2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              Here's a tip...

Keep a microfiber polishing cloth in your back pocket and after claying a section, wipe it dry before moving on to the next section. This way you won't end up with a smeary looking finish all over the car because you didn't wipe off the residue and thus you won't have to re-wash the car. (One of the most often asked questions).

I know this is an old thread, and an old post by Mike, but this tip causes me to question my claying process. I never wipe down the cars after I clay, because my next step after claying is Ultimate Compound which gets buffed off anyway. It there are real need to wipe the wet or dried claying residue off before proceeding with UC?
                              Thanks.

Comment

^^ No, I wouldn't think so.

That probably only applies if you were to go straight to wax after claying. What you're saying is right - the UC would remove any clay / QD residue anyway.

...Having said that, I usually dry the residue off as I go anyway - just so I can better see my results and see what defects I'll be working with.
                                Originally posted by Blueline
                                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');