• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does scratch x....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does scratch x....

is there any way to make the clear coat uneven by applying 6 applications on a couple of sections on the hood compared to applying 2 on others. also, about how many applications needed to be apply to competely remove the clear coat if possible? there are tons of water spots on my maxima's hood and they can't be felt when i glide my fingers over them, but after applying 4 applications of scratch x on the same area and working it in throughly, i can feel the bumps of the water spots. should i keep applying more until the spots are completely removed or try and claying it?

Re: does scratch x....

Originally posted by maxima2k2
    is there any way to make the clear coat uneven by applying 6 applications on a couple of sections on the hood compared to applying 2 on others.
    Not that you could ever see visually, it's just not that aggressive of a products.

also, about how many applications needed to be apply to completely remove the clear coat if possible?
    There is no set answer to these types of questions because it's about how thick the paint is you're working on. The fluffy answer is you couldn't do it. The AR answer is, if the clear coat on your car has been buffed by Bubba with a compound and a wool pad using a rotary buffer sometime in the past and there is so little clear coat left on the car that if you even look at it the wrong way with your eyes you would go through the clear coat, then it might be possible to go through using any companies hand applied paint cleaner but that's because there's nothing there to start with.

How's that?

there are tons of water spots on my maxima's hood and they can't be felt when i glide my fingers over them,
    Some defects in the paint cannot be fixed without repainting. The defects in your car's paint are starting to sound like this type of defect. In cases like these you have to decide whether you want to repaint the car or learn t live with the defects.

Read this thread and you'll see someone that has come to the realization that the water spots/etchings in his Corvette's finish cannot be removed and he has chosen to live with it an not repaint the Corvette.

Questions about using rotary buffers to remove sanding marks and other serious paint defects.

but after applying 4 applications of scratch x on the same area and working it in throughly, i can feel the bumps of the water spots. should i keep applying more until the spots are completely removed or try and claying it?
    Claying will have no effect on defects in the paint because claying is for remove above surface bonded contaminants, like paint overspray. Paint cleaners are for removing below surface defects but as I've outlined above, sometimes you cannot fix all defects no matter whose products you're using as the defects are to serious and the only honest fix is to repaint.

Hope this helps...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');