• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gearing up to restart my 5-Step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing up to restart my 5-Step

The weather here is starting to turn warmer, at least temporarily. I have the fever once again. Looking forward to my first full 5-Step of the Spring. I tend to let things go a little during the winter and relied pretty heavily on the one step ease of using Color-X to get me through the Colder season. I found that to be a great alternative and time saver for me as opposed to a 2-3 day clay, clean polish and waxing.

Anyway, I am gearing up for yet another full paint treatment here. Making sure I have everything I need in house. Shaking my bottles of stuff. I even put in for a weeks vacation from work to get it all done in, even though I'll likely get started ahead of time.

I had decided when I got into all this that each year, at the minimum, would be when I planed on Claying, whether it was needed or not. A fall claying is likely as well but my Spring workup is when I plan to really go after it. Got to have it all nice and shiny for the warmer months.

I have spent the last 7-8 months experimenting with countless combinations and techniques looking for what looks best in my eyes. I am working with white paint so it was kind of hard to decide on what I wanted. After all my trials I have decided I love the look of Gold Class on my white paint. I get a much better look with the GC and I even put it over #7 to "try" to get a little more wet look out of it.

For polishes this Spring I'll likely go with #80 then #9. I have some #82 in house as well but if memory serves, I think I have read in here that #9 is a little more rich in oils and I want to get as much of the Wet look out of it as I can. So this season I plan to go #80>#9>#7>GC>GC. Possibly with #26 as a topper but I don't want to do anything that will take away from the wetlook I will get from using the previous products.

Anyway, While I was thinking about it I figured I would throw out a post on what my plans were to get any feedback on my plans, and also I was curious as to what others plan on.

For me, I have been at this hard and heavy for 7-8 months as it has taken me that long to really find what I like and how to get it. When first getting started and taking the advice of others I tried this and that, all good ideas and choices but it has taken me this long to finally reach a decision as to what works best for me. I have actually done a complete 180 turn from my original thinking when having first gotten started, But this was only due to the experimentation I have done.

I was wondering if there were many others who have been into this, say less than a year, and have found that through the experience they have gained that they have come full circle and now do things totally different than they way they thought they would be when they first got started detailing.

For me, I think I am at a point where even though I will likely still continue to play with different wax combinations, My attention can now be turned to experimenting with other things like Trim Detailers, Dressings and such.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Hey Jeff,

Yep...it is that time a year again!!! Yahooo!! I have been going stir crazy not being able to detail when I feel like it; ie. darn snow!

Make sure when you try the spray Exterior Trim Detailer G13415, that you take a moment to adjust the spray pattern with the spray valve. It really makes a big difference! I like to use the spray Trim Detailer on plastic cowls where little crevices make liquid versions more difficult to use!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
      Hey Jeff,

Yep...it is that time a year again!!! Yahooo!! I have been going stir crazy not being able to detail when I feel like it; ie. darn snow!

Make sure when you try the spray Exterior Trim Detailer G13415, that you take a moment to adjust the spray pattern with the spray valve. It really makes a big difference! I like to use the spray Trim Detailer on plastic cowls where little crevices make liquid versions more difficult to use!

Tim
      Thanks for the tip Tim but I have already been though all the trim detailers. Including the Exterior Trim Detailer. I did find with that one that it really did not suit me as I tend to shy away from most of the direct spray on applications and prefer to spray onto an applicator of MF. The ETD nozzle wouldn't not let me adjust the pattern small enough to suit me. I did find a use for it though. Worked great as a quick way to dress the black composit bed of the truck.

I am still going to play with theother Trim Detailers/Dressings to see what works best where. I had been relying pretty heavily on Hyper-Dressing over the winter but found that it did well enough on the trim but it seemed to stay moist in the fine cracks and crevices on my tires and would either sling or ooze out for 3-4 days after application. HD works great for me on everything else though. I also like th GC Trim Detailer. I still need a jug of ASD to try out then I'll likely play with the professional line after that.
      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');