• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Use of Mequiars Products Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Use of Mequiars Products Questions

Hi guys,

I have a few quick question before i detail my 97 Altima with the first time use of Mequiars prodcuts this weekend (weather permitting).
    I will be doing all the work by hand and would like recomendations on products that are EASILY accessible from my local stores.

Interier- Never used a Mequiars for my interior. The interior is Beige/Tan.

Exterior- The products i know for sure i will be using are a Clay bar, Meq. Scratch X and the Meq. NXT Wax. What polish do you guys recomend using after i have applied my Scratch X and before i use the NXT Wax.

I can confirm after reading this site for hours that i have swirl mraks as well as a few scratches that i can feel go deep with my finger nail. I have a few tiny rust spots (2 on the hood and 1 on the driver door) which i plan to fix mid spring.

I will post before and after pics too

I know this question probably has been asked a million times before but the more posts i read about detailing, the more i get confused due to the abreviations for the products that i know nothing about
    97 Altima GXE.....No Mods Yet

Re: First Time Use of Mequiars Products Questions

Originally posted by dreamer1uk
    Interier- Never used a Mequiars for my interior. The interior is Beige/Tan.
    Well there are many products you can use here, for just a cleaner something like Quik Interior Detailer works well, leaves very little UV protection and a nice matte finish. Some products with a little more UV protection and a little more gloss would be Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant or NXT Generation Tech Protectant. All are great, easy to find(Wal-Mart/Auto Parts Store/Target) consumer level products.

If you are looking to clean carpet this would be the way to go Heavy Duty Carpet & Interior Cleaner. The All-Surface Interior Brush will give you a little more cleaning power if you need "deep" cleaning. Again (Wal-Mart/Auto Parts Store/Target) should have these products.

Exterior- The products i know for sure i will be using are a Clay bar, Meq. Scratch X and the Meq. NXT Wax. What polish do you guys recomend using after i have applied my Scratch X and before i use the NXT Wax.

I can confirm after reading this site for hours that i have swirl mraks as well as a few scratches that i can feel go deep with my finger nail. I have a few tiny rust spots (2 on the hood and 1 on the driver door) which i plan to fix mid spring.

I will post before and after pics too
    Sounds like you have a good plan.

As for a polish, you might try Deep Crystal Polish, very easy to use by hand, inexpensive and works well. Shouldn't be to hard to find at your local auto parts store. Remember work the product per the directions on the bottle and remove this product wet, no need to let dry like a wax. Also you can apply all products with High-Tech Applicator Pads and remove all products with a quality towel like Supreme Shine Microfiber or Ultra Plush Super Terry.

I know this question probably has been asked a million times before but the more posts i read about detailing, the more i get confused due to the abreviations for the products that i know nothing about
    This post should help you with the abbreviations: Meguiars Online Acronyms - With Product Links

Great ScratchX Info: How To Remove Swirls By Hand

Hope this helps a little, I am sure other will chime in. Good luck! I am
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the great reply. All the answers i needed and the link for the acronyms is wonderful.

Thanks again for your time and reply

BTW, i forgot to ask this but what about the Plastic of the side mirrors on the car? Any particular Mequiars product to clean those?

Comment

what about the Plastic of the side mirrors on the car? Any particular Mequiars product to clean those?
        If it's black plastic, then try this,

Gold Class Trim Detailer

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Mike

A quick question (again :P). My 97 Altima is a Silver colour so if i still use the Deep Crystal Polish, would it leave any adverse side efects on my cars paint as it says for Darker colour cars in the description thats all.

Go Mequiars!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Mike

A quick question (again :P). My 97 Altima is a Silver colour so if i still use the Deep Crystal Polish, would it leave any adverse side efects on my cars paint as it says for Darker colour cars in the description thats all.

Go Mequiars!
            Won't hurt anything... you can use it on any color car.

Not sure why it says that but maybe Mike knows.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

No.

The reference about darker colors is only because with darker colors it's easier for any change/improvement to bee seen with the human eye. Polishing a white or light colored car is still beneficial except that you're eyes can't usually see the benefit.

Also read what I wrote in the below thread, (third post on the page)

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4657

I always see the topic of which wax is best for light or dark colored cars on other forums and in most cases the people giving recommendations are clueless about the subject...

Read it, I think you'll agree.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                If it's black plastic, then try this,

Gold Class Trim Detailer
                Are you saying this should be used on black trim only? Not used on various plastic/rubberish trim? Such as silver? I have plans to use it on silver external trim soon and just noticed this comment.

Thanks -- love all the great info and tips!

Michael
                Michael
                Thanks for all the help!

Comment

The thing with the detailers is that they need a somewhat porous surface to soak into, like tires, or that gray/black textured kind of trim palstic. Applyign it to hard and smooth plastic, or painted plastic usualy wont do much because you will just wipe ot all back off as excess.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by mwpannell View Post
                    Are you saying this should be used on black trim only? ...
                    Michael
                    Well -- doesn't matter! I've got my own answer: I went out and noticed the "silver" trim is actually black! Faded, dirty, ugly black turned grey/silver over the years. So yes, I guess it really does need some care

But I guess I could still use an answer if Gold Class Trim is for back trim only, if the need ever arises.
                    Michael
                    Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                      The thing with the detailers is that they need a somewhat porous surface to soak into, like tires, or that gray/black textured kind of trim palstic. Applyign it to hard and smooth plastic, or painted plastic usualy wont do much because you will just wipe ot all back off as excess.
                      Thanks Murr1525. When I said above it doesn't matter, I was replying to my own post, not yours. Part of the "trim" I am going to be attacking soon are the bumpers. They are not terribly slick like some painted bumpers and are somewhat textured, so I'm hoping Gold Class Trim Detailer will work. If not, what would be best? Treat slick painted bumpers, etc. just like the other surface paint? And more porus trim with the various detail products?

Michael
                      Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Yeah, painted bumpers can be treated like paint, and that textured plastic trim stuff gets the detailers. Thats pretty much it.

You can still clay the textured palstic, but no paint cleaners, polishes, or waxes, as they will dry white and be a pain to remove. For a deeper cleaning, look at something like #39 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner, or some All-Purpose Cleaner, then use a dressing after.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');