• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning wheel wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

You should try the wheel nuts on my Ford Super Duty's 8 bolt full floating axles, try 165 ft.lbs and I have had a flat at a lake after fishing all day! Not fun!!!

As for the wheel wells, I use Meg's APC at 7:1 and then use Hyper Dressing at 3:1. They turn out fantastic!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
      Hey,

You should try the wheel nuts on my Ford Super Duty's 8 bolt full floating axles, try 165 ft.lbs and I have had a flat at a lake after fishing all day! Not fun!!!
      ouch! and you have 8 to remove! Well at least I only have 5!
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
        ouch! and you have 8 to remove! Well at least I only have 5!
        The Full Floating axles have 8 lugs, and the wheels are very difficult to break free! But once you get the hang of it, it is not that bad. Now lifting the wheel and tire (Michelin XPS Traction with steel casings) on to the truck is another story!! Ugh!!!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
          The Full Floating axles have 8 lugs, and the wheels are very difficult to break free! But once you get the hang of it, it is not that bad. Now lifting the wheel and tire (Michelin XPS Traction with steel casings) on to the truck is another story!! Ugh!!!

Tim
          bah, that's not bad either. Just throw a 2x4 in the bed and if you need to get a wheel up in there, rest it against the tailgate and roll it on up like a ramp!

Comment

Luckily, I have owned a lot of trucks over the years and have found a few methods to place things into the bed. But, I guess I should have been more specific... I meant trying to lift the wheel back on to the hub. Believe me, the weight of the combo is not even close to a small vehicle's or SUV's tire; those are just warm-ups!

OK back to work.... Let's get this thread back on topic....

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Cleaning wheel wells

Originally posted by gb387
              Very true, on my truck once the lug nuts are off its very difficult to remove the wheels. Lots of sweat and some choice words. I have been thinking of picking up some anti-seize and giving that a try.
              A little trick I learned - if the wheels are stuck to the hub, put the bolts back on, but don't tighten them - then lower the car and the weight of the car will loosen the bond. It worked great for me. I tried a rubber mallet, kicking the tires, etc, all to no avail.

On topic, I use Simple Green and a stiff tire brush on the wheel wells of our SUV, and then dress with a vinyl dressing.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaning wheel wells

Originally posted by kokketiel
                A little trick I learned - if the wheels are stuck to the hub, put the bolts back on, but don't tighten them - then lower the car and the weight of the car will loosen the bond.
                That sounds dangerous.... wouldn't it be possible to break one of the studs off of the hub that way?

I've seen some crazier things in my time, though (like watching a guy use starting fluid to re-seat a tire that popped off of the rim). So I'm sure it could work if one were being VERY careful about it.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaning wheel wells

Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr
                  [B]That sounds dangerous.... wouldn't it be possible to break one of the studs off of the hub that way?
                  The wheel is still on the hub, just not very tight, and it needs the smallest movement with relation to the hub to break the bond.

Although, you may have a point. I didn't think of that. Our cars do not have studs on the hub - they have wheel bolts.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaning wheel wells

Originally posted by kokketiel
                    Our cars do not have studs on the hub - they have wheel bolts.
                    Ah.... yeah that would be easier to fix. As far as I'm aware (though I could be wrong) both of mine have the studs directly on the hub, not as separate bolts. So if something breaks, the entire assembly would need to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');