• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wash in the garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to wash my car in the garage too during the winter, but I have found the greatest thing ever for keeping the water off of those painted walls. A few years ago, I worked at a car detailing shop, and we had a car rinser that rotated around the car as you scrubbed it. You just walked behind it, and the rinser would use just enough water to rinse the car. The great this was that is kept water within one foot all around the car. I'm trying to find out who manufactured the thing so I can buy one. I'll put it up once I do.

Comment

The guy that built our house hates cars!

How do I know?

Because there is rarely a single point in the day in which there is enough shade on the drive way to safely wash a car!

For this reason, over the summer I took the side-curtains that came with our EZ-UP Canopy form Costco and hung them on the walls where I didn't want water overspray so that I can wash our cars, and any cars I'm using for a photo shoot in our garage and out of the sun.

First Step - Sweep dirt and leaves in garage into pile

Second Step - Remove dirt and leaf pile out of garage

Third Step - Hose out garage to remove any remaining dirt and dust

Fourth Step - Have Rand wash the car using the Two-Bucket Method

Since summer has gone, and the sun is lower in the sky and the heat less intense, I can now wash our cars in the driveway. Interesting is the water temperature coming out of the ground here in the desert. Even though it may be very cold outside, usually the water coming out of the hose is fairly warm.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        Interesting is the water temperature coming out of the ground here in the desert. Even though it may be very cold outside, usually the water coming out of the hose is fairly warm. [/B]
        Hmmm...I get chunks of ice coming out of my garden hose this time of year! Go figure!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Looks good but give QEW a try. Simple to use, not messy, and very very little water left on the garage floor.

Greg
          Pinnacle Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by gregcavi
            Looks good but give QEW a try. Simple to use, not messy, and very very little water left on the garage floor.

Greg
            I did try it and I was totally unimpressed. Put it this way, I would wash my old Blazer with the $800.00 Maaco paint job, but I would not wash our 04 Black Pilot with this product.

I know the product gets a lot of fanfare on forums, and if it's your only option, then go for it. But whenever possible, rinsing a car first with water, washing with a dedicated wash solution and then rinsing with fresh water will always be a better solution, (no pun intended), than QEW.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ive got a 2 car garage.I use a squeegee on the floor with the door open a little to push the water(ice) outside.Ive also tried QEW and its ok for lowend neglected paint but is by no means a good wash.Heres a trick for the cold weather guys.Run your car to get it hot then shut it off open the hood and let the hot motor heat the garage.Obviously dont run the car with the garage closed.Ive been doing this for years.Does it reach 70 no but 50-55 degrees is all you get when its below 40 degrees outside.
              2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
              Show Car Detail

Comment

Interesting idea, but I prefer to wash at the coin-op, as I live in an apartment.

I think lowes or HD sell plastic panels for the walls.

Eric
                Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

I did try it and I was totally unimpressed. Put it this way, I would wash my old Blazer with the $800.00 Maaco paint job, but I would not wash our 04 Black Pilot with this product.
                  Maybe Meguiar's should make a better QEW product and then people will beat a path to their door.

Eric
                  Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

I thought all garages had drains in the floor! Maybe because I always lived in the midwest. With snow melting and dripping off our cars and onto the floor, and the necessity to wash our cars inside in the winter, I figured floor drains were standard equipment for the garage.

Oh, its fun when it's been a snowy winter, and they try to go cheap, using sand instead of salt, then the drain clogs!

I'm very thankful for having a heated garage with a drain so I am not at the mercy of the automated car wash!

I just park my car in the middle of the garage so the water doesn't hit the walls. Using a nozzle-free rinse helps reduce the splatter.

RamAirV1
                    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Dragpakmach
                      ....Heres a trick for the cold weather guys.Run your car to get it hot then shut it off open the hood and let the hot motor heat the garage.Obviously dont run the car with the garage closed.Ive been doing this for years.Does it reach 70 no but 50-55 degrees is all you get when its below 40 degrees outside.
                      Letting the vehicle engine warm the garage works VERY well, I try to plan my washes after a drive home from work. I do that same thing, I will then plug my heater in to maintian the temp.
                      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I know the product gets a lot of fanfare on forums, and if it's your only option, then go for it. But whenever possible, rinsing a car first with water, washing with a dedicated wash solution and then rinsing with fresh water will always be a better solution, (no pun intended), than QEW.
                        I have always wondered, I have never used it, I am sure it is a quality product.... you hear alot about it but it still worries me a little. Like you said not sure its the best idea for a paint you want to keep looking its best.

Not sure if this is the case but I thought it was intended for RV's... well that is where I have seen it marketed to.
                        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: QEW

i myself have not used it, you do hear alot of other in another form speak highly about it......

but i have tried there aerosol can which clean,polish,wax all in one, which i used for my motorcycle when it need to be wiped down or cleaned....no side affect or damage as far as i can see...but i don't use it as a dedicated polish and wax, only for cleaning then i will apply a polish or wax by hand...

i was thinking of buying a few can for my vehicle but that would be to pricey as this can run about 5-8 a pop....i stick with washing by hand.....

i dont mind trying it to see what the Talk is about since its a cheaper route then the my aerosol can method i mentioned...but in my mind i wouldn't use it all the time only when I'm in a budge and if it meets my expectation and no damage to the paint......

So some will some wont....its a matter of preference almost like anything.....
                          Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

I don't blame you guys for washing your cars in a garage in cold weather & such. But I'd be concerned with moisture penetrating into the 2 x 4's that run across the bottom of the walls behind the sheet-rock. Looks like a good way to start the wood to rotting.

Maybe it would be a good idea to caulk the area where the walls & floor meet with RTV to seal the gaps.....Or maybe use some kind of rubber like trim like you see used in commercial buildings with tile floors.

Just a thought.
                            r. b.

Comment

QEW is good stuff. Even works on black. But *never* use it when my trucks are covered with "crud". I hit the coin-op first.

Tom

Comment

The problem with QEW IMHO is that you won't remove the dirt in the wheelwells and underneath the car. This is where the rust usually start, not on the paint. I always hose these areas very carefully esp in the winter. I tried QEW in the summer and it was ok for light dust, but i didn't feel I got the car very clean.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');