• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questioins about leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioins about leather

Good day everyone,

I have some questions about leather.

First, I noticed in seams of the leather seats some dirt and grime sitting in it. What's the best method to get rid of this gunk?

Second, I've noticed the dye from my jeans starting to transfer onto the leather seat. How can I get rid of this as well without doing damage to the leather?

Thanks everyone.
    Seeing their heads turn as you drive by is payment enough.

Re: Questioins about leather

Using something like the Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on a regular basis will help.

You can use APC, or the 2-step Cleaner and Conditioner for deeper cleaning.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If you use the APC. I would suggest spraying the product directly on your microfiber. Then cleaning the area.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

I almost feel like a better question would be what kind of jeans are you wearing? I wear jeans in my car frequently, and I've never had any dye get on the seats. It could be whatever product you've got on your seats. I wouldn't think a Meguiars product to do that because I haven't had an issue when I used Meguiars on my leather. I've recently switched brands.

Comment

I have seen bigger problems from belts and tucked in shirts.

Comment

I've found that using a "leather protector" will stop color transfer or at least make it easy to remove. Oily conditioners do not. I actually believe they contribute to the problem.

A leather protector is like a sealant while conditioners are more like an oily or waxy glaze. Even if you buff the conditioners well, they often leave a thin film behind. This film hastens the soiling and in the case of dyes and stains keeps them in contact with the leather and helps them be absorbed into the topcoat. The leather protector builds a barrier between the stain, soil, etc., and your topcoat, just as a sealant does to protect your paint.

If you have stubborn soiling in the seams or stitching it is useful to use a soft bristle nylon brush and agitate the foamy detergent for a bit. Let the foam dwell and then wipe off. It is ok to repeat if needed but avoid using any abrasive products or over wetting the leather.

Here is my approach to leather care.

I use a leather cleaner and a leather protectant at least quarterly to keep it clean, supple and to prevent it from drying out and cracking.

When cleaning leather, I make sure to wipe off all traces of the detergent with a moist mf towel after cleaning. I then buff dry with another mf towel and wait about 10 minutes before applying the protection cream to insure the leather is fully dry. I don't use conditioner products. IMO, they are, as a group, oily or slippery and they can't penetrate the leather as most auto leather is coated with a urethane topcoat. A conditioner leaves a film on the seats which acts to attract more dirt and dust. I prefer to use a protectant on the leather as it dries hard and does not attract or hold on to dirt. I firmly believe the best thing I can do for my leather is to keep it clean.

Maintenance: I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on a weekly basis to remove any dirt and dust from my leather.
            Jim
            My Gallery

Comment

Can leather that is "hard",for be restored? i have a customer with beautiful black sport seats that look in great condition but are hard feeling near the top (I assume from the sun).
              I use Megs cleaner/conditioner on my own car and love it. I know it has aloe in it but someone told me I should use somthing with lanolin in it instead. I personaly see no reason to switch because like I said I'm very happy with the Megs product. Just curious if anyone heard this before.
              I have never transfered any dye from my jeans to my leather but I have had a newspaper leave lettering on a seat. Left the paper under a box in the back seat for a few weeks. Took a bit of work to get it all out but it did go away.
              Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
              "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

Trying the Gold Class wont hurt.

Comment

The jeans were my wife's jeans (not my own jeans after closer inspection of the marks) which were called "dark denim" and has a label stating that the dye could transfer..I will try some weak detergens to get it off and then use a toothbrush to get at the seams, and then finally use GC leather conditioner and cleaner spray (can't find the lotion up here in Saskatchewan)
                  Seeing their heads turn as you drive by is payment enough.

Comment

Wow I was about to post the exact same question about denim dye transferring to the seats! I have another question and I hope you don't mind me Hi-jacking your thread though...

How do you remove dye from the jeans that's transferred to vinyl leather seats (basically fake leather seats made of vinyl)? I tried leather cleaner while I was cleaning the rest of the seats that are made with real leather, but it didn't work.

Comment

Best vinyl cleaner I've ever used is Meg's #39. That said, if the dye has worked its way into the vinyl there is little you can do to pull it back out short of re-dying the vinyl.
                      Jim
                      My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                        Best vinyl cleaner I've ever used is Meg's #39. That said, if the dye has worked its way into the vinyl there is little you can do to pull it back out short of re-dying the vinyl.
                        Darn really?! The dye can penetrate into the vinyl and actually become a part of it, and not just rest on top? So i guess in a way it's like bird etching where it slowly penetrates and eats the clear. Very scary

Comment

Cleaning Seams

Remove surface dirt and dust, cleaning the seams periodically is important as dirt / grit will abrade the stitching causing them to fail, prise them apart, the use a soft brush, vacuum and then use a foam cleaner that will encapsulate the dirt / soil, one section at a time, and then finally wipe off with a clean, damp micro fibre towel.

Dye Transfer

Is a common problem on lighter coloured leathers; once the dye has permeated the surface it can be very difficult to remove, but this can be avoided by regular cleaning and the use of a protector. The transferred dye will ‘sit’ on top of the protection and can then be cleaned off by regular cleaning. If the dye has penetrated the finish then the finish has to be softened to release the dye (Leather Master Soft Touch) Using a solvent on leather that has a stain or dye transfer will do two things; Cause the dye to 'bleed' into the surface making it even more difficult to remove, as it can damage the finish requiring replacement.

Dye transfer (from jeans, leather belts, etc) can be very difficult to remove; the longer it is on the leather the harder it will be to remove. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc use Leather Master Strong Effect Cleaner or Super Remover (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated)
                          ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

jfelbab - What leather protector do you use? I have not seen very many at either a PBE store or online.

TOGWT - Great advice! I might have to bookmark this thread. I've seen my fair share of abused leather.

Comment

Originally posted by aerogt01 View Post
                              jfelbab - What leather protector do you use? I have not seen very many at either a PBE store or online...
                              I use Leather Masters Protection Cream.
                              Jim
                              My Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');