• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Liquid Wax results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Liquid Wax results

Let me begin by saying I'm no detailer....just someone who likes to keep his truck looking good and is here to learn. I've always used Meguiars Cleaner Wax, and decided to try the Ultimate Liquid Wax. I've never used a true 'liquid' wax before, so this was quite the learning experience. The Cleaner Wax has a much different consistency, but I'm sure you guys already knew that. When I finished, the truck had a really smooth and glossy finish, but the color underneath it did not seem to 'pop' like it did when I used the Cleaner Wax. My prep was the same as always.....wash with Meguiars Gold Class wash, dry with a combination of electric leaf blower and microfiber. Should I have done something different for the prep before using Ultimate Liquid Wax versus the Cleaner Wax?

Re: Ultimate Liquid Wax results

Maybe next time you may want to clay, and polish with Ultimate Polish before applying Ultimate wax.

Comment

No, you're not doing anything wrong, briarpatch. The cleaner wax has polishing oils as well as carnauba in it which the other does not. UW is just a sealant, not a polish or carnauba wax. So, what was happening was that you were using one product that was polishing and leaving carnauba behind, two things that gave you that pop, as well as leaving synthetic protection, but UW was only giving you the synthetic protection alone. You could put UW over CW after it cures, though, or go through dedicated claying and polishing steps for UW.
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Sunday Joe and Top Gear...thanks for the replies and the advice....this is exactly why I'm here....

Top Gear.....what do you mean by "after it cures"...i'm not familiar with that one...how would I know when it cures?

Comment

Just give the first wax 24 hours after you're done. That can be tough without gathering dust and dirt, etc, which is one reason why I don't do this "topping" technique, myself

The main thing is that you've got a simple approach that works using CW. Moving to dedicated steps will dramatically increase the workload and time, just so you know, especially if you're doing this all by hand. That said, if you want to get the most out of UW and a fair comparison, try some Ultimate Polish as a dedicated step, then follow with UW. That will give you a good comparison over CW alone. If you wanted, you could also try a different wax, like Gold Class or Deep Crystal (dedicated carnauba waxes), instead of UW (NXT will be similar to UW, both dedicated synthetic sealants).

Meguiar's has a LOT of products and it can be overwhelming. Most are meant to fit into some particular regimen, but we all mix-and-match as well

Comment

Ultimate liquid wax is actually considered a polish/wax as is NXT. The cleaner wax is an all in one product. Meaning it will clean polish and protect. Two different products.

To truly take advantage of ultimate wax try using ultimate polish. Polishing is what gives gloss. The abrasives in the product will act as a paint cleaner. If you need more correction then you can move to ultimate compound. The test spot with the least aggressive product is your friend.

Cleaner waxes are great for those quick details when one doesn't have the time to do more correction steps.

If you are going to be topping a cleaner wax, I would just go ahead and use a polish followed by a wax of your choice.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
              Ultimate liquid wax is actually considered a polish/wax as is NXT...
              How is that? I can't find any confirmation that either UW or NXT/M21 contain polishing oils. If they do, it would have to be minor compared to the various cleaner waxes, and of course, the various polishes.

Comment

See post 173 by Mr. Stoops

99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Well, I think that's using the word "polish" the same way "wax" is used with those sealants Let's take this topic to the new thread I just posted, or wait for Stoops to respond there...

Comment

Originally posted by briarpatch View Post
                    Sunday Joe and Top Gear...thanks for the replies and the advice....this is exactly why I'm here....

Top Gear.....what do you mean by "after it cures"...i'm not familiar with that one...how would I know when it cures?
                    I didn't think there was a cure time for wax. A second coat can be applied after removing the 1st coat.

Comment

Originally posted by sunday joe View Post
                      I didn't think there was a cure time for wax. A second coat can be applied after removing the 1st coat.
                      Ultimate Liquid Wax is actually a synthetic sealant and requires a cure time before topping with a second coat or a normal carnuba based wax.

Comment

^^^^^ +1

Comment

The paste version works and sets up better!

Comment

A point worth mentioning...

Originally posted by eagleguy007 View Post
                            The paste version works and sets up better!
                            ...but paste will stain trim...at least on the box it doesn't say it won't stain trim whereas the box of ULW does say it won't stain trim...both being useable in the sun.

Even at that, on a recent autogeek video with Mike Phillips and Barry Meguiar (and others), Barry states that the full potential of these products is best when used in the shade on cool panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytman View Post
                              A point worth mentioning...

...but paste will stain trim...at least on the box it doesn't say it won't stain trim whereas the box of ULW does say it won't stain trim...both being useable in the sun.

Even at that, on a recent autogeek video with Mike Phillips and Barry Meguiar (and others), Barry states that the full potential of these products is best when used in the shade on cool panels.
                              I don't have experience with the ULW, I chose the UPW because I've read some not so good comments about the ULW, being a newer product and with a different application and removal technique. However, not worrying about staining trim is brilliant and the WOWO application can actually be a faster way of applying waxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');