• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting weird looks while detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting weird looks while detailing?

That must be 1 clean park! They've even got power outlets for you?

Comment

Yep, several outlets and benches under the pavilion. It's one of many huge county parks supported by my tax dollars. Nobody cares that I'm doing it, and even cops have cruised by and ignored me, but then, I'm not parked under the pavilion doing that work when the leagues are there with all the complaining minivan moms, etc
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

I would've thought you'd get even more weird looks at a public park pavilion!

I'd be almost embarrassed to do a detail in such a setting! Especially with power tools etc involved.

But hey... whatever works for you!
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

If it was me, I'd set up a banner, park my car looking it's absolute best, and offer mini details to anyone that's willing to pay

I've thought about going out to the beach early Saturday morning and offering rinseless washes to people with nice cars..

I wish my park had canopies and outlets to plug into...

Comment

Well, didn't expect this to turn into a thing , but here it is, I remembered I had some shots of it. There's bathrooms with running water, power from several outlets, lights at night, and this cavernous space, total luxury from the weather! It's surrounded by soccer, volleyball and baseball fields, and when they aren't in use, which is most of the time, I might be the only soul in this park, or maybe a few walkers might be about. Even with a game or two going on there might be nobody around this particular area, but sometimes there are festivals and tournaments, etc. It rarely gets used by groups, like reunions, etc. Once, I saw some women doing a yoga class here - I was tempted to join in.

LOL, this is cracking me up just posting it

In this shot, from two years ago, I think I'd just pulled on in there for the first time or so to do some QD/QW detailing. It was only later that I got bold and started doing full-on correction work. People who may pass by have been curious and very complimentary, but I've not had any weird or teasing comments like I would get from neighbors. Recently, I was going at it during my DAMF testing and a cop passed by, took a look, and kept going. Whew. One time, a dude on a bicycle sat nearby and had a beer or two while I worked away, and last time I was there, the county park landscapers came by for a break and asked questions about wax, making it clear I wasn't breaking any rules. I'm freakin' tempted to service my brakes and rotate my tires there as well, but maybe that's going too far.

Comment

Easy there grease monkey! Lmao.

And wow that spot is sweet! I've got a painfull sunburn all across my neck as I type this [from being out in the sun detailing cars this past weekend]
              I'd love to have been detailing in that setting.

Comment

Looks like a great space.

I'm with Davey though, not sure I'd feel particularly comfortable working there, but all power to you.

Comment

Yeah, Davey and Select, don't get me wrong, it can be spooky there, especially after dark. It's also near a creek, and mosquitoes can be a big problem during their feeding period late in the day. But, it's a park I use a lot anyway, so I know the patterns, I'm not a total stranger, and I'm not there every day doing customer cars, for example (if I were, I'd try to get some sort of official clearance from the park people, perhaps pay for a permit or whatever).

As in the shot, there's usually nobody in sight, nobody cares, and it's just better than the driveway since I don't have to wait for shade or move to hug shade. In the South, it's not unusual at all to see people, including cops, parked under trees and various overhangs or under pavilions like this hugging shade temporarily. The heat/humidity can be deadly. This pavilion has cross-breeze and is actually cooler than being in open air, and is much cooler than working in an non-air-conditioned shop with open bay doors.

Oh, and I did my brakes and tires last evening in the street near my sloped driveway

Comment

Nice spot

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
                      I used to live just north of Olive Branch Mississippi in Memphis. My step brother still lives there.
                      Nice area to live actually. I kinda miss it sometimes.
                      It's nice, but I'm at an age where everyone is much younger or older than me. I'm getting kind of burnt out of the region in general. It feels like it's set 50 years in the past, people drive lifted up trucks like it makes their **** bigger, the education rate and schools here are sub par, and in general there aren't a lot of jobs for my profession.

If you are raising a family thought, in North Mississippi, I suppose it's not too shabby at all.

Comment

So, I've relocated for work and I'm far away from that pavilion option Oh well, sacrifices must be made, sometimes. Now, I'll get the weird looks in an apartment parking lot (until I find a house)

Comment

If you can detail a car in northern Mississippi in the summertime, then my hat's off to you. That place is awfully hot and humid. I did my aunt's car in 2002 while visiting her years back, but I haven't volunteered any detail services since then, lol.

We enjoyed our time there, though. I just prefer the high elevations of the piedmont compared to the Mississippi alluvial plain.

Check these bad boys out...

I photographed the pair (looking over a bridge) about a quarter-mile away from my aunt's house (we were there for a reunion last year). Another reason *not* to live there. Notice the bottle rocket beside the first snake. It was a 4th of July leftover.

Forgot to mention that this is the Byhalia area.
                          r. b.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');