• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Fiber Hood - How to work on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber Hood - How to work on?

Carbon Fiber Hood - How to work on?

Alright here is the story. My friend has a carbon fiber hood and it is in pretty bad condition. Seems to me that it has yellowed and there are many scratches and etchings. I had asked him to find out if it was clear coat or gel coat and he told me clear coat. So just now we bust out the buffer with some #9 Swirl Remover. I used this because I know its mild and I didnt want to do damage. The finish did seem to get smoother but it started leaving white streaks, some powdery stuff seemed to come off the hood. He now tells me that he did not find out with the manufacturer if its gel or clear. So is this clear or gel. Im assuming gel and also is there anyway to fix this? I can post pics but digi cam is with my parents. I can get pics off a cell phone but they wont be the greatest quality.

Thanks in advance
    Mayur
    2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
    2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
    1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Re: URGENT HELP!!! - Carbon Fiber Hood

Typically a true CF hood is gel coated. Mostly because the CF is a fabric woven and laid out like Fiberglass. So you probably have these milky white streaks that are patchy on it. You could try wet sanding with 2000 or 1500 to 2000. Then try a small area to buff with something different.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelan View Post
      Typically a true CF hood is gel coated. Mostly because the CF is a fabric woven and laid out like Fiberglass. So you probably have these milky white streaks that are patchy on it. You could try wet sanding with 2000 or 1500 to 2000. Then try a small area to buff with something different.
      Last thing we want to do is wetsand the hood because we arent expierence in that. I searched the forums and found this. Whats different about this one? He used a more abrasive product than me.
      Working on an extreme makeover? Show it off/seek advice here. We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Comment

Originally posted by Mayur View Post
        Last thing we want to do is wetsand the hood because we arent expierence in that. I searched the forums and found this. Whats different about this one? He used a more abrasive product than me.

Working on an extreme makeover? Show it off/seek advice here. We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers
        Treat a carbon fiber hood like you would a neglected clear coat and you should get great results. #9 is a little too gentle for what you want to do, a better choice will be M80 Speed Glaze and carve out small sections at a time using a dual action polisher, (a PC), using a polishing pad on the 5.0 setting.

Check out the before and after photos here,

Carbon Fiber Hood Before and After using M80 Speed Glaze

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Horrific swirls in this Carbon Fiber Hood provides Meguiar's with the opportunity to show people how to remove swirls the right way the first time...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

This was done by hand using ScratchX

The detailing clinics at Meguiar's are truly hands-on clinics. We do our best to teach the skills you need to get great results the first time.

Below, the owner of this BMW with the brand new custom paint job is going to learn how to fix the problem using his hands with a few quality Meguiar's products.

First up, ScratchX by hand.

After he applies the ScratchX and works each application in, he then removes it with a Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe microfiber polishing cloth.

Next, the owner applies an application of Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish, works it in well, and then removes it. Meguiar's polishes do not need to dry before removing.

After the polish has been removed, an application of Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax is applied, worked in well and allowed to dry for 10-15 minutes.

After it has cured, it is gently removed using a microfiber polishing cloth.

Remember, this was all done by hand and it was to my knowledge the first time this person had ever used any of these products.

After learning the techniques for getting good results by hand, we then taught him how to use the G-100 Dual Action Polisher to go over the entire front clip and put a show car shine worthy of his new paint job...

Here are those results...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

The power of Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasbrasives

Mason's hood showing before and after due to Meguiar's diminishing abrasive technology together with Meguiar's ESP Technology

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

How's that? Are you ready to get to work?
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Alright here is the story. My friend has a carbon fiber hood and it is in pretty bad condition. Seems to me that it has yellowed and there are many scratches and etchings.
                  The yellow part makes it sound like straight resin, no clear coat paint, thus no UV inhibitors to protect itself. Hoods that are clear coated get the benefit of UV protection in the clear paint and usually cost more money.

So just now we bust out the buffer with some #9 Swirl Remover. I used this because I know its mild and I didnt want to do damage.

The finish did seem to get smoother but it started leaving white streaks, some powdery stuff seemed to come off the hood. He now tells me that he did not find out with the manufacturer if its gel or clear.
                  #9 is just to gentle for what you're trying to do, you can try again using a polishing pad on the 5.0 speed setting if you're using a G100/PC, if you're not using this tool, what are you using?

Remember, no matter what tool or product you're using, test first in a small section to see if you can fix a small section first. You could even try ScratchX by hand with some passion behind the pad to be very safe.

It can either be fixed or it can't be fixed, so at this point you really don't have anything to lose. If you can fix it, then take some before and after pictures to share on the forum and after you fix it, be sure to maintain it or it will reverse and get bad again and you'll start running out of film-build to work with in the future.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike for the good write up as always! We used #9 because thats all I had on me along with the DC system. We are currently placing our order for the products we need to come in. Tomorrow we are going to try out scratch x by hand. Ill keep you guys posted. Again Mike you rock

Comment

Tomorrow we are going to try out scratch x by hand.
                      Carve out a small section, about 8 to 12 inches square or so, no larger. Cut up a terry cloth towel so you have a piece of towel about 4" by 6" and fold it in half to give you a piece about 4" by 3"

Apply about a teaspoon of ScratchX to one side of this piece of terry cloth towel and then spread the product out over the section you're going to work, circle motions usually work best to spread products out.

Once the ScratchX is spread-out, put some passion behind the pad and get busy with it, apply the product aggressively against the surface, using fast back and forth motions and with about 8 to 13 pounds of pressure.

Work until the product starts to disappear but not all the way, (or turns oily and clear if it's the original version of ScratchX), and then wipe off. Repeat this about three times before passing judgment. Then to get the total appearance results either polish and wax, or at least wax and then inspect.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                        Carve out a small section, about 8 to 12 inches square or so, no larger. Cut up a terry cloth towel so you have a piece of towel about 4" by 6" and fold it in half to give you a piece about 4" by 3"

Apply about a teaspoon of ScratchX to one side of this piece of terry cloth towel and then spread the product out over the section you're going to work, circle motions usually work best to spread products out.

Once the ScratchX is spread-out, put some passion behind the pad and get busy with it, apply the product aggressively against the surface, using fast back and forth motions and with about 8 to 13 pounds of pressure.

Work until the product starts to disappear but not all the way, (or turns oily and clear if it's the original version of ScratchX), and then wipe off. Repeat this about three times before passing judgment. Then to get the total appearance results either polish and wax, or at least wax and then inspect.
                        Sounds good. We will give this a shot tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks Again Mike

Comment

UPDATE: Still waiting for products from ADS to come so it might be until next week until we are done. For now we started doing Scratch X by hand and it seemed to work. It left the white milky stuff again. After that we used some more #9 (again only because its the only thing we had) and applied it to half the hood. We then followed up with DC Polish. The hood doesnt look half that bad now. Looks alot better but still needs a bit more work. My friend took a few pictures and I dont know how well he took them so we shall see. We cant wait for the products to come in. And btw he is now hooked on Meguiars lol. He is now broke because he spent all of his money on Meguiar's products. He also found hes getting a PC 7336sp for Christmas. Gonna be some good times

Comment

I would try to buff it and that should work

Comment

Re: Carbon Fiber Hood - How to work on?

Moved to Hot Topics because the subject is a hot topic.
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');