• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holograms, what causes them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holograms, what causes them?

A few weeks ago, I cleaned my car up for the winter, and it looked good in the garage. Once it was outside, I noticed 2 panels still had swirls on them, and these 2 had been repainted a few years ago, and were cleared, while the rest of the car is single stage black. After washing the car this weekend, I noticed holograms all over the side panels of the car. What causes holograms?

Re: Holograms, what causes them?

Generaly, they would be from someone using a rotary on the paint that doesnt quite know what they are doing.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

No rotary, just a PC 7424

Comment

Originally posted by eric96ser View Post
        No rotary, just a PC 7424
        You're saying the body shop painted these panels and then used a dual action polisher to polish them and didn't ever use a rotary buffer?

That goes against the norm but it is possible. It's probably a good idea we make sure were talking about the same thing...

If the swirls show up in some type of pattern or zig-zag shape like the swirls you see below, then these were caused by a rotary buffer.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm sorry for the confusion. The panels were painted 6 years ago, and I'm sure they used a rotary on them. I mentioned the repainted panels, since they were cleared and the rest of the car is single stage, and the cleared panels are the ones I'm having the most trouble from. If holograms are mainly caused by rotary buffers, then I guess I still have plain old swirls.

Comment

Originally posted by eric96ser View Post
            I'm sorry for the confusion. The panels were painted 6 years ago, and I'm sure they used a rotary on them. I mentioned the repainted panels, since they were cleared and the rest of the car is single stage, and the cleared panels are the ones I'm having the most trouble from.

If holograms are mainly caused by rotary buffers, then I guess I still have plain old swirls.

And this all goes back to paint hardness, something this forum has been doing our best to educate people on since going live in 2004. We can remember reading posts on Corvetteforum by guy always talking about how soft the paint on newer Corvettes are when the truth is the paint is as hard as glass but very scratch-sensitive, a term Barry coined in the early 1990's to describe the issue frustrating both enthusiasts and professionals as we switched over from single stage paints to clear coat paints.

The problem with the swirls in your car's cleared panels is in most cases an easy fix if you use the right products and the right techniques to correct or remove the swirls. We can show you how to do this by hand or machine, your choice.

Two examples:

By hand

Before

After

By Machine

Before

After

Let us know how you want to work, by hand or machine and we'll share with you the products and techniques to remove the swirls and create a uniform appearance over your entire car.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Either one works. I had been using the PC with 8006 pads with a combo of 83, 80, 26 then NXT. Since it's dark by the time I get home, I was working in the garage with just shop lights. The car looks great under those lights, but sunlight shows the real picture. Thanks for the help Mike.

Comment

In most cases, M83 and/or M80 will remove the swirls in most paints. In the Lexus above, we used M80 Speed Glaze. If you're not getting good results so far, then try working a smaller section, try about a 16" square section and moving the polisher slowly over the paint, (not quickly), and make 3 passes, in two different direction, (front to back and side to side), then wipe-off and move to a new section.

When you've finished apply a wax of your choice.

Take a read through this,

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike. I'll try another round of 80 this weekend. I'm sure my wife will just love the sight of the car all taped up in the garage again.

Comment

Just do a small section, called a test spot, see if you can make this one small section look good first and then once you get the hang of making a small section look good, then tackle the rest of the car.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Will do. My last question (for today), is what is the best way, or the way you like, to put the product on the pad? I've seen some sites show a cross pattern, while others show a few dots to distribute it evenly. I don't think I've seen a post on what the best way is. I want to make sure not to use too much, or not enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');