Fixing a million rock chips
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a million rock chips

Fixing a million rock chips

So, I'm not sure if it's the design of my car, or the paint used on the hood, but this model of car seems to get a million rock chips on the rood and front bumper. I've seen many other people with the same car have just as many rock chips in front.

Could also be the location and highway driving, or style of driving? Either way, I don't have the time or tools to pay attention to each little rock chip as some people have suggested doing. I can't tape them all off and work them one at a time. Some are really small, some are big. Some are really close together.

I've already come to the conclusion that I need to get my hood repainted, but I can't afford it. So in the meantime, I decided, hey what the heck? Why not mess around with it and see what I can do.

So I grabbed a bottle of touch up paint I got from the body shop when they fixed up some scratches my neighbors caused, or when my car was vandalized (not sure which bottle it was). Anyway, I grabbed that battle and went crazy on my hood. First I wiped the hood down with Dishwashing soap to remove the wax, rinses it with a spray bottle, and wiped with a microfiber cloth. I was lazy, didn't want to wash my entire car so just did the hood this way.

After that, I tried to cover every single rock chip in my hood. I didn't have the worlds best precision so there's a lot of overlapping. Here's the aftermath:

Sorry I don't have an expensive camera either, just my junky cell phone. Ugly though, my car has polka-dots now ! haha

Anyway, I tried to "blob" up some of the touch up paint in the chips to fill them in so i applied some of it several times. I'm not sure how long it needs to dry before "layering" though, it seemed to dry really fast.

I don't really want to sand my entire hood, can't I just use some Ultimate Compound and a foam pad? I might get a DA soon.

Also since I just finished, can I apply wax again or does touch up paint need to cure for a while too?

Pro/Marine/RV Product Manager Markus Kleis's Avatar

Re: Fixing a million rock chips

Yikes, looks like your weakest link was the lack of matching paint to start with.

Frustrating, isn't it? I don't have the skill, nor the supplies to match my own paint, so it is always a bummer when you can't do touch-up work due to something out of your control (ie the supposed matching paint isn't even close!).

As for what is next, you will not want to sand your entire hood. If you want to level the paint you want to do precise and gentle sanding of the blobs only. Do a test on one first.

You should be able to remove Meguiar's Unigrit 3,000 grit sanding marks with Ultimate Compound by hand. If that doesn't work (it should), then M105 will be needed.

Just take your time. If you want to be extra careful, surround the paint spots with tape so you sand them only and not the regular part of the hood.
    Meguiar's Professional, Marine/RV Global Product Manager
    My ride: 2014 Ford Focus ST, 6 Speed, Race Red
    NEW USERS GO HERE FOR RULES AND HELPFUL LINKS: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...guiar-s-Online

I'm confused. How could the paint not be matching? It was the same paint they used to repair my paint with previously.

It shows up easily because I think it's sort of "matte" flat right now, there's no gloss to it. I'd imagine that once I use some light abrasives and polish on them, and then wax, they should blend in?

As for the wet sanding, do you only use water to keep it wet or something special?

This is my daily driver so I need to go to work tomorrow with it. I dunno if the paint should be covered in wax. For now I plan to leave it unprotected for a day or so, unless waxing will be fine. It's only been about 2 hours though I thought it would need longer before waxing...

I don't think the touch up paint is a clearcoat blend. I think it may just be a single stage paint?

Paint color can really differ from the original color. For example, the shop painted a section of the Porsche the day after the entire car was painted. The section had a brighter look to it and the paint was the same stuff used the day before! They fixed the color problem, but it just shows how hard it can be to properly match the color.

You cannot really level the touch up paint by using a polish or compound. Wet sanding is pretty much your only option. The best way to lubricate the surface is to use water mixed with M00 Hi-Tech Wash 128:1.

I would let the paint cure for a week or two before doing any sanding or polishing. Sometimes the touch-up paint can pop off when polishing.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Quote Originally Posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
    I would let the paint cure for a week or two before doing any sanding or polishing. Sometimes the touch-up paint can pop off when polishing.

About that... It's been about 2 hours and I decided to go outside with my original Scratch X and try a few spots.

On some of them it totally removed the extra paint from around the rock chip.

Unfortunately 90% of the rock chips are indents still, there's no blob. I dunno if I'll need to do more layers then. This touch up paint is pretty thin.

Now I'm wondering if I should use this time to do that to the others, or if by doing so I'll accidentally remove the paint from within the chip as well...

Quote Originally Posted by xantonin View Post
    I'm confused. 1.) How could the paint not be matching? It was the same paint they used to repair my paint with previously.

It shows up easily because I think it's sort of "matte" flat right now, there's no gloss to it. I'd imagine that once I use some light abrasives and polish on them, and then wax, they should blend in?

2.) As for the wet sanding, do you only use water to keep it wet or something special?

3.) This is my daily driver so I need to go to work tomorrow with it. I dunno if the paint should be covered in wax. For now I plan to leave it unprotected for a day or so, unless waxing will be fine. It's only been about 2 hours though I thought it would need longer before waxing...
    1.) Because there are so many variables, one can never count on it to be 100%. Is the paint metallic? If so, the amount of shaking given to the paint before applying can cause the flake to rise or fall in the container.

The brush stroke can give a different lookc ompared to spray.

Flake can simply lay differently.

The could have faded since the last repair.

Get the point? touch-up paint rarely EVER matches 100%. Even the stuff from the manufacturer labeled with the same paint code can be vastly different for all of the above reasons and more.

2.) Lots of water, and a spray bottle with a pinch of car wash soap mixed with the water. Use it liberally.

3.) It will be fine exposed. No need to wax.

I don't think the touch up paint is a clearcoat blend. I think it may just be a single stage paint?
    This is possible. Some have clear mixed in with it. This too could play into the difference in look. As mentioned before, there are just too many variables to know for sure. (One reason I started shying away from this work for anyone but friends and family).

About that... It's been about 2 hours and I decided to go outside with my original Scratch X and try a few spots.

On some of them it totally removed the extra paint from around the rock chip.

Unfortunately 90% of the rock chips are indents still, there's no blob. I dunno if I'll need to do more layers then. This touch up paint is pretty thin.

Now I'm wondering if I should use this time to do that to the others, or if by doing so I'll accidentally remove the paint from within the chip as well...
    Even though it can become dry to the touch in minutes, it often takes considerable time to dry. Sometimes it takes several days or more baking in the sun to fully cure.

I went back to finish a job after 3 days and found that the paint I had applied was still incredibly soft.

You might need more layers, you might need more cure time, or a combination of the two. Problem is, it's pretty impossible to tell you from here (even with pictures). This is one thing you need to get a feel for on your own.
    NEW USERS GO HERE FOR RULES AND HELPFUL LINKS: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...guiar-s-Online

Awesome thanks for the input. That was what I was looking for, so that answered my questions.

Few more questions then is the type of paint. Assuming it's a single stage, after how many layers do I followup with clear coat, if at all?

Awesome thanks for the input. That was what I was looking for, so that answered my questions.

Few more questions then is the type of paint. Assuming it's a single stage, after how many layers do I followup with clear coat, if at all?
    Well, the thing to consider is that adding clear will likely darken the area and change the color. If after sanding and polishing the touchup you find it matches, I wouldn't mess with clear. If you find it is still too light, then a light coat of clear would be a good idea.

There is no steadfast rule on how many coats, just experiment and see what looks best.

I have not used this myself but it looks interesting: http://drcolorchip.com/
    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information