• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo overkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo overkill

Just an observation but I find myself less likely these days to look at a thread that has lots and lots and lots of before and after photos. I certainly understand the exhilaration that comes from a job well done and taking a car's paint finish from awful to awesome, but in my estimation, a few photos indicating extent of the damage and the resulting correction are more appealing than a photo of every angle of the car.

Understand, this is meant as an op/ed piece and there are those who will certainly disagree with me.

Re: Photo overkill

agree with you , who has the time for 100+ pic from 20 different angles ?
    2 type of persons: who detail for part time , and who detail as hobby.
    so if you detail for some extra cash , yes you may have time to stop and take pictures...
    if you detail for living than you know better that time is money , if you get paid for pictures... lucky you, go for it. i don`t!
    Cosmin
    proreflection
    *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

Take 500 photos and post the best five. And, I don't need to see 30 different angles of trim taping, either!

Or, a photo of an empty bucket followed by a:

Photo of a garden hose.

Photo of car wash soap pouring into empty bucket.

Photo of garden hose nozzle spraying water into foaming bucket.

Photo of wash bucket full of sudsy water.

Comment

also i love those post with 3-5+ days detail (??!) of course...are 50+pictures included so people see how hard they work.
        proreflection
        *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

I don't mind a lot of photos if it's a big detail job. A lot of Tuck's threads have 40 photos etc. but he is typically doing full details, with great write-up to compliment the process.

I really think the number of photos has to coincide with the scope of the job.

Typically you are going to see an overabundance of photos from members who are just getting started. I'm okay with it. I'd rather see excited new members posting lots of photos, rather than none at all, because they are apprehensive about posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
            I don't mind a lot of photos if it's a big detail job. A lot of Tuck's threads have 40 photos etc. but he is typically doing full details, with great write-up to compliment the process.

Typically you are going to see an overabundance of photos from members who are just getting started. I'm okay with it. I'd rather see excited new members posting lots of photos, rather than none at all, because they are apprehensive about posting.
            Very well said, Bill. I agree with you 100%.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post

agree here to Bill. I can still remember the day i actually got good results while detailing a car. My wife finally had to tell me to shut up Now she just smiles and says yes Dir

Comment

Gotta agree. Speaking as one Miata owner to two others in this discussion,it amazes me that people continue to post pictures of their cars on the Miata discussion forum. You would think that after 900,000 of them being built,we would know what they look like. It is now at the point that I don't even open a thread if there are pictures in it.
                I got so mad at a girl who was texting while she was driving,that I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her

Comment

I have to disagree... sort of... because it depends on what the photos are really showing. In Tuck's case he posts a lot of nice photos that show off techniques, products, product usage, what others clean that you might not, how to work on different cars, etc and that's a HUGE help for the noob (like me!).

I see this happens in everything. Once you pass a certain stage of knowledge and/or experience the "lesser" stuff seems silly and pointless. Don't forget what it's like to be brand new. Getting past the "noob" stage is sometimes difficult before you can reach the "passion" stage.

The little things like plenty of photos make a big difference for some.

Just my 2 cents
                  Black on Black - 2007 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4
                  Personalized Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Barry N View Post
                    Gotta agree. Speaking as one Miata owner to two others in this discussion,it amazes me that people continue to post pictures of their cars on the Miata discussion forum. You would think that after 900,000 of them being built,we would know what they look like. It is now at the point that I don't even open a thread if there are pictures in it.
                    must be the love affair us miata folks have with our cars

Comment

Originally posted by f86sabjf View Post
                      must be the love affair us miata folks have with our cars
                      Yup
                      I got so mad at a girl who was texting while she was driving,that I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her

Comment

Well, it's hard to discourage people from posting pictures of vehicles on a website for products that are driven by the appearance of vehicles...
                        2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
                        2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

I do not mind a really long thread with many photos since it can tell a great story.

If you do not like the amount of photos in a thread, then simply exit the thread and go to the next one.
                          Nick
                          Tucker's Detailing Services
                          815-954-0773
                          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I love long writeups with lots of pictures BUT the pictures must be purposeful/justified and not simply just taking pointless pictures.

I learned tons of stuff from great people online like Dave (street dreams), Todd (bella machina), Bob (autoconcierge), Mike Phillips (autogeek), Paul Dalton (miracle), Jesse (apollo hungary), and lots of great detailers out there.

Plus my customers insist that I document the work that has been rendered onto their vehicle.

If you dont like them, just hit the exit button and move on.
                            Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                              I do not mind a really long thread with many photos since it can tell a great story.

If you do not like the amount of photos in a thread, then simply exit the thread and go to the next one.
                              Originally posted by TimG View Post
                              I love long writeups with lots of pictures BUT the pictures must be purposeful/justified and not simply just taking pointless pictures.

I learned tons of stuff from great people online like Dave (street dreams), Todd (bella machina), Bob (autoconcierge), Mike Phillips (autogeek), Paul Dalton (miracle), Jesse (apollo hungary), and lots of great detailers out there.

Plus my customers insist that I document the work that has been rendered onto their vehicle.

If you dont like them, just hit the exit button and move on.
                              Originally posted by JoeDirt View Post
                              Well, it's hard to discourage people from posting pictures of vehicles on a website for products that are driven by the appearance of vehicles...
                              I agree with all of the above. I love lots of pics.
                              Tedrow's Detailing
                              845-642-1698
                              Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');