• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do broken front bushings on a front wheel drive car affect safety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do broken front bushings on a front wheel drive car affect safety?

Just had my old Civic diagnosed for brakes and the mechanic mentioned that the front bushing were broken. He wouldn't give me a definitive answer as to whether the safety of the car is compromised (I think it must be) in situations such as hard braking or panic stops. The mechanic instead emphasized extra wear on the tires and decreased gas mileage because the car's front end has the effect of being pigeon-toed.

My neighbor really wants to buy my car as a grocery getter for his young adult daughter and I have been trying to discourage him by listing all of tha car's problems. My neighbor understands that a high mileage, 17 year old car will need work. But I really want to give him an honest estimation if the car's safety is in jeopardy.

Informed answers would be greatly appreciated. Please, no speculation or guesses. I don't want anyone's safety or well being compromised.

Re: How do broken front bushings on a front wheel drive car affect safety?

Since you are already skeptical on it, I would play it safe than sorry, assuming that it is dangerous.

I believe the primary purpose of bushings are to keep on part of your car from rubbing on another. What the worn bushings may lead to is the replacement of a more expensive part of the car because it was rubbing or bumping something it shouldn't have been.

I would tell the potential buyer that you won't sell him the car unless he pays to get those items fixed beforehand.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Exactly what bushings are worn? Depending on the car, you could have a lot of them.

Comment

Control arm bushings. Easy fix, especially if you have a press handy. The bushings won't cost much either.

I don't want to say it's safe, but it's not a major issue either.
        Alex C.

Comment

Originally posted by Black150 View Post
          Control arm bushings. Easy fix, especially if you have a press handy. The bushings won't cost much either.

I don't want to say it's safe, but it's not a major issue either.
          I think you're right about it not being a major issue. The mechanic almost glossed over my safety concerns and instead played up the wear and lost gas mileage angles.

Also, I've known for years my rear bushings are shot. My mechanic at the time told me that the car would ride low as a result. Since I had become used to the car riding low anyway, I left it as is.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');